Good bye old friend...... You will be missed.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
We had to put our 12.5 year old lab down today. I've only ever found one fault with grandparents and dogs...... They just don't live long enough.

The way Bear came into our life was just by chance. I was installing a floor for a guy. He came to me and said " You just bought a new house right?" I told him yes. He then told me a story about a friend of his who had a kennel that bred labs. They were very expensive dogs, but she had one that was born with a lump of skin on his forehead, and his muzzle was crooked. Because of this, if she couldn't find a home for him, they were going to put him down. I was hesitant to tell my wife because I knew what it would mean...... I would be the owner of a puppy pooping and peeing, scratching up the new hardwood floors. I decided to tell her about this situation. At first she was of the same mind set, but then she got me with something........My son was only 11 months old at the time. She said " Every little boy should grow up with a dog" I couldn't disagree.

I made arrangements for the 3 of us to go see the litter. When we got there, the lady had all the puppies in a large 10x10 box. My son was beyond excited and wanted to crawl in with the pups. Instead the lady opened the door and it was pure chaos..... My son on the floor with 9 pups crawling all over him, one in particular that just laid down next to him and put his head on his lap, laying there letting my son pat him. It just so happened that was the one she was giving away. Obviously the decision was easy at that point.

Bear came to his new home a week later. We crate trained to start with, but that only lasted a week. We then let him stay out at night in a gated off area. No chewing, no accidents. My wife had a small daycare at the house during the time. She watched 6 kids counting my son. Bear took to the attention, but was not a spastic lab that jumped or barked. Matter a fact, I think I might have heard him bark maybe a dozen time, and he never once jumped on a soul.

I've grown up around dogs all my life...... I've seen many come and go. I can honestly say, this one hurts the worst. I will miss coming through the door after work, letting the ol boy out, letting him back in and watching him tear ass around the corner to go eat.

mdab27

Reaction score
Sorry to hear Shawn, that is the worst. Went through it not too long ago with our dog. She died too young, 8 years old. It sucks every time.

kevin in nh

Reaction score
Very sorry to hear this. I had to put my 15 year old GSP Abby down I can't bring myself to get another pup. And to some people they are just "Dogs" SMH....

Turningleaf

Reaction score
So sorry to hear this Shawn...loosing a pet is like no other experience....it absolutely rips your guts out. I think it's because dogs unlike anything or anyone love so unconditionally. I've had to put down our 16 year old beagle and a 14 year old shepherd in the last few years and it never gets easier...they sure do leave a whole in your life. Wishing you some consolation over the next few weeks....first month is tough.

Wandling

Reaction score
I hate that for you. It's like losing a kid. People said I was nuts for spending $3000 on my 12.5 year old beagle for cancer surgery. I've had her longer than my daughter. She would have definitely died if I didn't do the surgery. She is doing great right now. Even if she would have died I am glad I did my part to prevent it. Some people just don't understand what it's like to have a friend like that.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words guys. My wife is taking it real bad. I have kind of a funny place I put dogs. I'm not a person that sees them the same as a kid. I never had children knowing I would outlive them. I'm also not a person that believes in taking my dog every place. I actually get annoyed with the people who feel the need to take their dog to the grocery store, bank, Home Depot, Walmart, etc........ If it's a service dog, that's fine. It won't be long before we are seeing a large company being sued do to someones dog biting a kid that got in ones face not knowing any better.

With that being said, I can appreciate the true companionship that a family dog brings you. Him or her counting on you to feed them, let them out and toss a tennis ball for. In return you get a respect and devotion that is known by few.

Luckily he didn't suffer long. His liver started to shut down on him yesterday. They tried antibiotics over night, and he didn't get any better this morning. So the humane thing to do was let him go. I will miss him very much. Coming home after work and not having him greet me a the door was a shitty feeling. I am certain we will not be getting another dog. I wouldn't want to go through this again, and it's inevitable that we would be.

I'm going to bury him on the mountain I spend a lot of time deer and turkey hunting so I can visit him on a pretty regular basis.

Fixed blade

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. I've been there like many others. It's tough and for me didn't get easier for a long time. Condolences and sympathy to you and your family.

Browseline

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. My last dog was a Golden, got him as a puppy and he lived 11 years. He loved to ride around in the front seat of my truck, sitting there like a king. I named him "Buck".

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Tough one Shawn. Hang in there. I'm sure he lived a good full life with you.

Meatseeker

Reaction score
So sorry Shawn. I've been there. Best things is about Labs is that they are happy to their last breath and never have a regret. I'm sure he had an amazing life with you and your family.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Condolences for your loss Shawn. I know that empty feeling. My Lab didn't die though. He was stolen when he was 7 years old by a tourist
at Killington Ski Area when I was living and going to high school in VT. For a year every day I was hoping he would find his way home.
Never could get another dog after that.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
That really sucks Shawn and sorry to hear the news. My chessie turns 10 this fall and I can't even imagine him not being in my life, he's pulled me through a lot of stuff over the years.