GMOs and Herbicides. NAW article

hurricane

Reaction score
Not very encouraging about the whitetail prospects if further research proves this to be true.

Are black bear in forestry territory next on the list?

I saw lots of acres of new clear cuts having been dosed with this stuff ( "Rodeo® herbicide is a top choice for emerged aquatic vegetation control. Rodeo is a nonvolatile glyphosate herbicide that binds readily with soil particles." - www.dowagro.com/vm/products/rodeo.htm ) during moose scouting in Maine WMU2 last Fall. Berry bushes were growing in the clearcuts real successfully, making me think these areas would be a real magnet for bear come berry season.

mdab27

Reaction score
There is no concrete science anywhere linking the events. Even this ladies extensive work, seems to be done in an uncontrolled fashion, unfortunately. She has no data from before 1996, which will skew any results if you are relating it to Glyphosate use. I think it is very interesting if the uses of these RUR crops affect wild ungulates more so than domestic ones, which have been exposed at a much higher rate and have not had any adverse effects.

More science in needed on this subject, but I do agree that at the moment there is nothing to worry about.

frontierrots

Reaction score
I do wonder about domestics though. I think it's something they don't report in general
Basically breeding FOR glyphosate resistance?
If a cow or bull does not have good fertility or productivity off to slaughter
Stillborn calves or aborted calves go to the manure pile
If a calf is born with severe birth defects off it goes
If a cow is unthrifty/a poor doer off to slaughter

I know the local dairy farm has MANY dead calves in the manure piles they truck to the fields (they then spread on the fields right before planting). Right now the coyotes are having a field day with the carcasses.

mdab27

Reaction score
Good point, but it was over 20 years ago these products were put in use. No one batted an eye back then if cows died, or had a defect and were slaughtered, etc. Therefore there is no historical data to base any increase off of. It certainly is something to keep an eye on, but I think a lot of people are jumping on this GMO bandwagon, just because they think it is righteous. I am a scientist by day...I guess that is why I like concrete evidence.