Garmin InReach Rental or Purchase

Huntermc6

Reaction score
For my October moose hunt in Zone 4 I am looking into renting or purchasing a Garmin InReach. Two of the guys that are coming along on the hunt have young kids at home and our cell service is going to be spotty at best. I thought this might be a good way for them to reach out and at least send a few texts to check in while they are away. The other thing I was considering is if we are going to be checking different areas using 2 separate trucks we can contact each other if we see a moose or find a good area to check out. The later reason might be overkill though and can be just as easily accomplished with some MURS radios.

What are your thoughts on this and if you have rented one where did you rent from?

Meatseeker

Reaction score
Garmin InReach's are great. But I'd recommend giving a serious look at a Zoleo satellite receiver. They are a lot cheaper and work excellent. I was on a moose hunt in zone 4 last year and used the Zoleo and it worked flawlessly. Turn it on an clip it to your pack. Your cell phone is the interface through the zoleo app. It automatically connects to your phone via bluetooth. I was able to send and receive texts at will any time. Their subscriptions are pretty reasonable.

Here is a good review;

mowbizz

Reaction score
Just tell your wives that there’s no signal and you’ll see her in a week, that’s what I do.

Last time I hunted Maine, there were NO cell phones yet…so if someone didn’t seek out a pay phone, the ol’ ladies were in the dark for the week! 😂

Huntermc6

Reaction score
Just tell your wives that there’s no signal and you’ll see her in a week, that’s what I do.

Generational difference I suppose but I'd like them to be able to check in every so often. It's probably not a big deal for either of them but when you have little kids it's something to consider since there's the technology to do so today.

I don't have kids so for me I do tell my wife I'll text or call if and when I can. She doesn't care and she probably enjoys the time to her self.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Generational difference I suppose but I'd like them to be able to check in every so often. It's probably not a big deal for either of them but when you have little kids it's something to consider since there's the technology to do so today.

I don't have kids so for me I do tell my wife I'll text or call if and when I can. She doesn't care and she probably enjoys the time to her self.
Check in is nice, unfortunately they’ll have to listen to the wife’s daily events including problems with the dishwasher😃

Tailfeathers

Reaction score
I have an inReach they work pretty slick from trading fishing reports offshore. Ive never used it hunting but throw it in my bag sometimes. should work perfect for what your trying to do. Ive never rented one so Im no help there sorry. Have rented SAT phones though which is also another option.

Latest posts