Fun/Truck Gun

JDK

Reaction score
Well, I have played with the Savage a little this past week and it seems to be coming around. I only have a place to shoot 75 yards and will be able to wring it out once the snow goes and the ground firms up. My impression is that it is OK but will do exactly what I hoped for. I shot in the neighborhood of 50 factory rounds with various bullet weights. The first night I was pretty disappointed and my best group was in the 2.75 inch range. It didn't like anything I tried.

Last night it got a second good cleaning and figured I'd go shoot a box of Core-Lokts just to get the brass. This is the first 10 rounds with the first shot near the staple. After that it settled down. That will certainly kill any deer I plan to shoot at here in Maine. If it continues to group Core-Lokts like that or better, that is what I'll use.

file-95.jpg

Overall the rifle is what it is. The stock is rather flimsy and believe that you'd have to be careful if you planned to use a bipod. Recoil, especially with 180s, is noticeable but not offensive. The trigger is easily adjustable and very crisp (I'm getting used to the accutrigger). I'm also not sure if the first night's performance wasn't my fault as I wasn't used to the trigger. Hoping that as things get broken in groups and shooter get better. Feeding and ejecting has been flawless and the action has noticeably smoothed out with those first few rounds.

I like the Burris scope which is clear and seems to track well. A couple of minor annoyances. It is advertised as click adjustment and it may be. However they are not very noticeable and seem to be more of a friction adjustment.

Secondly, the illuminated dot, even at the brightest setting is hard to see on a dark background and you can actually see it better shut off. I'll pick up a new battery to see if that is part of the issue. Durability is unknown at this time. Not a deal breaker for me but I'd be a little ticked off if I were buying it specifically for the illuminated dot. If the new battery doesn't brighten the dot, I'll most likely send it back to Burris for them to look over.

Last edited:

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I think that’s pretty good then. I know when I switched over to using a cheap gun rest type clamp where I could shoot with pretty much nothing touching the gun except my finger the accuracy of my guns was never better. I got something like this, but cheaper and smaller, but also has a strap that goes around the butt of a gun to reduce recoil. I’ll use a Camp chair and a small table and just reach in and just pull the trigger. Really nice for sighting in too. Typically one shot, then just reset the gun and move cross hair to the bullet hole and it’s deadnuts afterwards.

Attachments

JDK

Reaction score
I grew up hunting woodchucks. Lots of long range shooting with nothing but a rucksack and a pair of binoculars. Taught me a few things

Big D

Reaction score
J, put some JB bore paste to it and really work it. See where you are then.

Big D

Reaction score
I neglected to say,that is a pretty damn good group regardless. Impressive.

JDK

Reaction score
IF, and that is a big IF, I have any shooting ability my father gets the credit. After sighting in. nearly all of our shooting was from field rests and targets of unknown distances. Woodchucks in the summer with a 22-250 and cottontail and squirrel hunting in the Fall with 22s. His 22-250 was the same model as our 250s so it was a natural switch. After that, hitting the chest of a deer was pretty easy....if I could control my emotions.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I’m envious of the guys that shoot a lot and have a place to do it. Since I moved down here it’s been a constant struggle. Feel like I’m always rushing. Shoot a bit on a fishing trip, try to squeeze in an hour here or there when doing something up north. Never feel relaxed or enjoy it, because I’m usually sighting in or checking zeros. I have to change that.

JDK

Reaction score
Not sure of your situation but trigger time with a 22 is very beneficial and can be dome in a lot more places. Egg shoots are fun.:cool:

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Not sure of your situation but trigger time with a 22 is very beneficial and can be dome in a lot more places. Egg shoots are fun.:cool:
I actually looked at some at the local gun shop yesterday. I used to shoot regularly with a Remington .22. Could easily shoot out back with no issues with that. I might get on that. Suburban living at its finest. Flush.

JDK

Reaction score
I don't know how close the Ruger American rimfire is to your 7mm-08 but that might be an option.

In Ct. since coyotes moved in woodchucks are rare animals.
That is sad. I know one of the places we used to hunt is now a winery. Dad also took us to New York and we hunted alfalfa fields. Lots of targets of opportunity back then.

Big D

Reaction score
I’m envious of the guys that shoot a lot and have a place to do it. Since I moved down here it’s been a constant struggle. Feel like I’m always rushing. Shoot a bit on a fishing trip, try to squeeze in an hour here or there when doing something up north. Never feel relaxed or enjoy it, because I’m usually sighting in or checking zeros. I have to change that.
I'm with you KC. Growing up we used to shoot all the time. Now it's whenever I'm up north you break out the irons and sight in or just have a little fun. Definitely not enough to be proficient. Sadly most of the places we used to shoot have been shut down due to people trashing the places. Is it really that hard to haul your shot up junk out with you. Quite a few places up north are starting to look the same way too. I'm in the same town as you and don't have a clue as to where to shoot.

Flatlander

Reaction score
Through the winter I burn 100 rounds or so with my 22 pistol every week.You really have to concentrate on the basics ,trigger control especially. It nice to have an indoor range. Before hunting season I practice with a 22 rifle.

Last edited: