Foods you avoid during hunting season

Reaction score
Everyone has their favorite hunting foods, but what foods do you avoid during hunting season. My wife is Korean so we eat a lot of Korean food, but I try to avoid it during hunting season she uses a lot of garlic, treats it like a vegetable more than a seasoning. Lots of red pepper, comes in many forms, paste, flakes and sauces which burns all the way through you and can make for an uncomfortable all day sit in the tree stand. Also when I eat to much ginseng I get really shaky, not good when your trying to settle in for a shot on a deer. Had Korean food last night and all the kimchi has got my stomach just a churning today.

Turningleaf

Reaction score
No ex lax!!! In all seriousness though I have found that instant oatmeal for breakfast keeps me from being hungry, and I don't have to take a shit at 9am, or have gas issues. It seems to process much better than other breakfast types foods. In general I don't eat foods at night that I know are going to give me issues the next day. I stay away from chilli or beans on the night before I hunt or there is no scent free that is going to still the air the next morning:rolleyes:

Escout711

Reaction score
Everyone has their favorite hunting foods, but what foods do you avoid during hunting season. My wife is Korean so we eat a lot of Korean food, but I try to avoid it during hunting season she uses a lot of garlic, treats it like a vegetable more than a seasoning. Lots of red pepper, comes in many forms, paste, flakes and sauces which burns all the way through you and can make for an uncomfortable all day sit in the tree stand. Also when I eat to much ginseng I get really shaky, not good when your trying to settle in for a shot on a deer. Had Korean food last night and all the kimchi has got my stomach just a churning today.
Yeah, kimchi+my stomach = Atomic Ass Bomb, lol!! I have thought about this before, it does make sense that deer can smell strong foods like garlic. I would also think that they can detect urine from predators.

runt13

Reaction score
Avoid the gas / poop producing meals and liquids, chili, taco's, beans, dark beer, tequila, always go for the light breakfast, toast, baked hash brown. stick to the mellower smelling foods in the woods.

RUNT ''13''

Mainewoods

Reaction score
We usually eat pretty good meals at camp and I always have vegetables but definitely stay away from the greasy foods and chili. Last season my sister sent up a huge batch of homemade macaroni and cheese and I started having a big bowl of that for breakfast every morning around 5am. The amount of energy I had was crazy and with a platypus full of Gatorade I was able to go all day long no problem.

What's key for me is to get up early enough so that I get an actual bowel movement in before I head into the woods.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
We usually eat pretty good meals at camp and I always have vegetables but definitely stay away from the greasy foods and chili. Last season my sister sent up a huge batch of homemade macaroni and cheese and I started having a big bowl of that for breakfast every morning around 5am. The amount of energy I had was crazy and with a platypus full of Gatorade I was able to go all day long no problem.

What's key for me is to get up early enough so that I get an actual bowel movement in before I head into the woods.
Same here on most accounts. Camp staples are mac'n cheese with Cabot seriuosly sharp cheddar, vegetables from the garden, and some steak of some sort (deer, moose, beef). Oatmeal for breakfast most days, with an occasional day of corned beef hash with eggs.

Also important to visit the outhouse in the darkness....

Last edited:

NY Hunter

Reaction score
Hit the 'john' before heading into the woods is a must. Oatmeal does seem to stick to the ribs better and doesn't reek havoc on the digestive system, peanut butter/jelly sandwiches for lunch and a non-greasy dinner, usually meat cooked on the gas grill, boiled/ steamed veggies, instant mashed potatoes. We leave the fancy meals for when we get home.

Last edited:

VTwoodchuck

Reaction score
Funny that my favorite sandwich is made with my wife meatloaf. It seems pretty simple at home but, when I take it out of the bag in the woods the smell is overpowering. I am convinced that the day is shot, but they are soooooo good.

Turningleaf

Reaction score
Funny that my favorite sandwich is made with my wife meatloaf. It seems pretty simple at home but, when I take it out of the bag in the woods the smell is overpowering. I am convinced that the day is shot, but they are soooooo good.
That's my favorite sandwich in the woods!!! Meatloaf sandwiches.... Nothin like it!

Reaction score
Yeah, kimchi+my stomach = Atomic Ass Bomb, lol!! I have thought about this before, it does make sense that deer can smell strong foods like garlic. I would also think that they can detect urine from predators.
Atomic ass bomb is the perfect description. At work we use a garlic spray on customers shrubs to keep deer from eating them and it works really well.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
I always "go" in the woods, that's when they try to take you by surprise, but I am always ready!:elmer: Shot a nice elk that way! lol
Done that many of times and seemed to be when I felt like I needed to rush out of camp and be the first one in the woods. Not so anymore and prefer to just get up a bit earlier and take my time.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
As a rule I avoid any spicy foods during the deer season. So little to no garlic and nothing too hot. As a rule I love hot and spicy. I recall one day eating at a Chinese restaurant and chatted with a fellow bowhunter. He commented that he had a meal here and then saw absolutely nothing on his stand. It could have been an off day but he did comment that he exuded an odor of spice used at the place.

Believe it or not most of my hunting for deer is close to home so the standard meal is a protein shake in the morning with lots of green tea.

Browseline

Reaction score
I eat what I would normally eat. I hunt from the ground with a rifle only, so what I smell like and having to go to the bathroom doesn't concern me. If I was bow hunting or up in a tree stand, that would be a different story.

ahmoore

Reaction score
Nacho night at camp w/ fake queso cheese and all sure puts a hurtin' on the system, but wouldn't have it any other way! Exactly, there's nothing like an extra thick PB&J sandwich in the woods and tried cutting down to 1 for weight/space savings on the hip pack, but only 1 just doesn't cut it...

Tracker

Reaction score
I got a cast iron stomach, can eat anything I want. I eat garlic on everything and believe thats the reason I never get ticks on me. As for deer smelling me, I saw 22 deer this year not one of them more than 50 yards away from me all while I was on the ground. Passed on 3 different bucks all within 15 yds The closest was 10 feet. I know there noses keep them alive but I am a strong believer that you have to not make a move so they can pick you off.
How can you go out in the morning without eating something with bacon in it wow