Food For Thought

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
I'm still hunting as are many of you I suspect, and tonight I came across a well written article from Trib Live, authored by Bob Frye entitled, "Forget Waiting For Them, Here's How To Successfully Track Deer." I took a chance and read it and found it thought provoking and a good read, so I wanted to pass it along in case anyone were interested......or that bored.

Forget waiting for them, here’s how to successfully track deer | TribLIVE.com

Xbolt

Reaction score
Ill stick with my bolt action sniper rifle with its high end glass and wait him out in my heated comfy box blind while drinking coffee &watching our food plots

NH Hunter

Reaction score
One of his guides used to post here. He was a pretty interesting guy. Jumpshooter was his handle I believe. I spoke with Randy on the phone a few times. He's came off as a decent fella. Not a big fan of the miles of leased land keeping other hunters out unless they want to pay him to hunt there. Then again..... I've never been a fan of that with any "hunter" making that choice.

Mikejd

Reaction score
I will read when I'm not in my stand but I have been to a few of Randy's seminars. Good speaker and all around good guy. Hung out for a while after 1 of his seminars. Talk about walking with a deer like cadence alot.

mowbizz

Reaction score
I will read when I'm not in my stand but I have been to a few of Randy's seminars. Good speaker and all around good guy. Hung out for a while after 1 of his seminars. Talk about walking with a deer like cadence alot.
How does a human walk with a deer cadence? Deer I have observed vary from one step or less a minute to a “quick step” type directional walk…then There’s bounding (most commonly seen when jumped)
Perhaps you’re talking about your pace compared to the deer being tracked?
that would make sense…

Fixed blade

Reaction score
I know Randy well have for about 15 years or so. In my humble option he is one of the best bare ground hunters you will ever meet. He helped me go from a stand hunter only to a more well rounded hunter With the ability to track and stalk on bare ground or snow. Most of the hunting right ups here I have done are from using the techniques Randy taught me or using part of the technique. If you get a chance to speak with him at a show or seminar it’s worth picking his brain. Keep in mind he is from Northern Maine and is not shy about giving you his opinion on things but I think most of us here aren’t shy about that. I find any knowledge a hunter is willing to provide me I’m willing to listen too and see if it can help even the odds a bit.

Mikejd

Reaction score
How does a human walk with a deer cadence? Deer I have observed vary from one step or less a minute to a “quick step” type directional walk…then There’s bounding (most commonly seen when jumped)
Perhaps you’re talking about your pace compared to the deer being tracked?
that would make sense…

So the typical human walk when we are sneaking is something like crunch,crunch,crunch,crunch you know the drill but a deer will be are more likely to be more erratic crunch,crunch pause, crunch crunchcrunch pause 1 crunch long pause.

If you actually listen to a deer then your buddy you will see what he means. After he said it and I paid attention to it it was fairly obvious. Now I know every now and then you think your buddy is coming up behind you and it's a deer but you usually k ow when it's a hunter.

Most people sound like a predator sneaking through the woods. Deer do not.

Fixed blade

Reaction score
Not to mention those pauses give you time to look and listen. Look for movement or parts of deer and listen for noise. Not just walking but a stick snap, an acorn crunch whatever.

Latest posts