Flourocarbon vs. Mono.

.270 Pump

Reaction score
Try the new Seaguar Gold Label. The diameter per lb. test is smaller & it’s more abrasion resistant.

MGK

Reaction score
I’m a big flouro guy. I run 8lbs seaguar for almost everything. Occasionally bulk up to 12lbs when I’m fishing for togue. Catch rates went up especially in central maine on high pressure bodies of water. I will say, I used to tie an improved clinch knot when I was running mono. Found out through trial and error that flouro doesn’t like that knot. I now tie a uni knot and have no issues. Just wet the line first. Not to speak for someone else but JDK had the same issue and is using the trilene knot now I believe

Meatseeker

Reaction score
Do you think using flouro increases your sucess ? When flouro first hit the market it was claimed to be invisible in the water. If that was true 50 lb. test would work as well as 4 lb. test. I use mono and flouro leaders and can't say one gets more bites than the other. This is in saltwater where I use up to 60 lb. test shock tippets. The main advantage I see is that flouro has better abrasion resistance.
I've seen situations where the flouro made a big difference over mono shock leader for stripers. The biggest difference I've seen is fishing for stripers on the flats of Cape Cod Bay where the water is real clear and fish are skittish because of the real shallow water. Flouro usually beats mono 3 to 1 in my experience on the flats.

Seems to make a big difference on bonito and albies too. Especially when they are on small bait (anchovies)

Flatlander

Reaction score
I don't do any flats fishing , mostly rips and open water. The water here is greenish , maxima ultagreen works great. I never go lighter than 15 lb. test . I've used 50 lb. test mono for albies when they're mixed in with bluefish. We're having a decent year with bones , boated 16 last monday.