Flourocarbon vs. Mono.

Flatlander

Reaction score
Do you think using flouro increases your sucess ? When flouro first hit the market it was claimed to be invisible in the water. If that was true 50 lb. test would work as well as 4 lb. test. I use mono and flouro leaders and can't say one gets more bites than the other. This is in saltwater where I use up to 60 lb. test shock tippets. The main advantage I see is that flouro has better abrasion resistance.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Do you think using flouro increases your sucess ? When flouro first hit the market it was claimed to be invisible in the water. If that was true 50 lb. test would work as well as 4 lb. test. I use mono and flouro leaders and can't say one gets more bites than the other. This is in saltwater where I use up to 60 lb. test shock tippets. The main advantage I see is that flouro has better abrasion resistance.
Fly fishing, like nymphing in crystal clear rivers for picky wild fish, wouldn’t be without it. Dry fly fishing I don’t notice as much as a difference. Trolling I always have a flouro leader as the price difference is negligible.

JDK

Reaction score
Took a long time to convince me but I won’t fish without it now.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I use 30 lb braid and a 20 lb floro leader when trolling for walleye, smallmouth and pike in the Thousand Islands, N.Y. Usually trolling in the evening so I don't think the thickness is an issue. Also, nice to have the 20 with all the weeds and rocks. The braid is so stiff that I can immediately tell if there is a weed on the line, by watching the rod tip. A split shot at the end of the braid picks up weeds that get picked up by the line before they get to the lure.

I use it for all my leaders, fly fishing and bait fishing.

Last edited:

JDK

Reaction score
I will say that I had not fly fished for awhile and on my last trip to Rangeley I realized I was short some 5x tippet. I bought some locally and almost puked at the price. It was almost $20!

That is exactly why I now tie direct to my braid when muskie fishing. Look at the price of a spool of 80-150 lb fluorocarbon leader material.

ive now taken to buying spools of Seaguar Blue Label in 8 and 12 pound test. Cheaper than leader material and more if it.

Last edited:

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
That is exactly why I now tie direct to my braid when muskie fishing. Look at the price of a spool of 80-150 lb fluorocarbon leader material.

ive now taken to buying spools of Seaguar Blue Label in 8 and 12 pound test. Cheaper than leader material and more if it.
Good idea.

I broke down down and bought a new fly line the other day. The couple I had were 8-10 years olds. I figured I would shop local and went to the fly shop here. Cheapest line was $80, 90% of them were 100-120! I couldn’t believe it considering the line I bought was the exact same one I was replacing that cost around $50 at the time.

Flatlander

Reaction score
Has anyone done a side by side test ,everything exactly the same , one rig with floro and one with mono. I also use seaguar blue lable and stren clear or maxima ultragreen mono.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Has anyone done a side by side test ,everything exactly the same , one rig with floro and one with mono. I also use seaguar blue lable and stren clear or maxima ultragreen mono.
Yes, but not intentionally. Fly fishing. Ran out of flouro, went to same X tippet in frogs fanny which was always a good mono. Catching stopped. Buddy comes down the trail and gives me an extra spoil of flouro, catching starts.

Also about 5 years ago on the rapid river I lost my tippet holder. Like 5 spoils of flouro. I used my mono tippet in my vest and did ok, my buddy across from me hammered them. Once my buddy sourced me some flouro, I was back in the game.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
Trolling for salmon the catch rate went up substantially when I switched from mono to fluoro leaders. It REALLY went up when I switched from 8Lb Trilene 100% Fluoro to 6lb Seaguar Invis-X

Flatlander

Reaction score
O.K. maybe there's a difference between fresh and saltwater. If you're using flies or lures and the fish can see the leader why can't the tell an artficial from the real thing ?

Big D

Reaction score
I'm a believer. Made the switch years ago.
Fly fishing/nymphing - always flouro
Ice fishing - Braid to flouro
Saltwater Casting - Trilene big game to flouro. Love the stretch of the big game.
Saltwater fly fishing- Backing to Trilene big game to fly line to flouro.

JDK

Reaction score
Yes and intentionally. A three year period where I set up my rods as identical as I could. Flourocarbon vs mono leaders on both my leadcore and downrigger rods. Stuck with Seaguar fluorocarbon and Trilene XL green mono in 8 pound test. Without going back and really looking at my records what I found was:

Clear water lakes 80:20 in favor of fluorocarbon. Some days it was 90:10 and even 100:0.
On more stained lakes 60:40. On those dark dank days it was closer to 50:50

Perhaps one of the more notable exceptions was the Allagash waterway. There was a time when the mono far outfished flouro.

Deeper water togue fluorocarbon outfished mono.

I should say that I see absolutely no difference when I bass fish (I fish crystal clear and stained lakes and rivers) and use all mono. I did not like how fluorocarbon fished. I use fluorocarbon leaders for muskies and have had far more follows/hook ups using fluorocarbon leaders compared to tied directly to braid when I fish clear water. In the stained crap that I'm fishing now it doesn't seem to make any difference at all.

As always, YMMV.

At the end of the 3 years, I reluctantly gave up on all mono for coldwater species trolling.

Last edited:

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I agree as well about Flouro being key during salmon trolling, and I'm sure it has it's place fly fishing, but I can't bring myself to spend 14.95 per leader. What can I say, I'm a cheap bastard.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
Good to know. At least I can blame my poor Trilene leaders to my shitty salmon fishing this season.
It was eye opening. My buddy took it a step further and dropped down to 4lb Seaguar Invis-X, but the 4lb just wasn't heavy enough when you're targeting 4-7lb salmon and lakers with teeth...he had a lot of hookups but a lot of breakoffs even with long limber rods and light drags

Big D

Reaction score
Big D why do you use trilene between your fly line and backing.
With bigger fish they will pull all the fly line off the reel. That ends up creating a lot of drag on a 10wt. line w/ current, seaweed, etc.. That Trilene big game is strong but more importantly has a lot of stretch to it. Provides a nice buffer for the tippet. Typically I have 15 - 20lb tippet and the line between the fly line and backing is 30lb Big Game. I also glue all of those line to line connections.

Big D

Reaction score
I tie 30 lb. test micron directly to the fly line , never had an issue.
I suspect that's how most do it too and I'm sure it works fine. It's just the way I learned to do it years ago.