Fish Taxidermy?

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I know zero about taxidermy. However, Ethan caught a monster yesterday and was curious. Anyone on here do a skin or a replica mount? Is one cheaper than the other? Benefits to one or the other?

JDK

Reaction score
We have had 3 replicas done and have been happy with each. One of my biggest criticisms of replicas is that many look fake to me. They are either far to shiny or they don’t have that life like sag in the belly. They are just that a replica . I paid $11 an inch for both of mine

it seems to me that those that do replicas are getting better at it. There are still some out that that shouldn’t. Painting fish is far different than doing a head.

Repilcas use blanks that are close to what you caught. Most artists will be able to slightly modify the blank to closely fit what you caught but they aren’t exact. My only advice would be to look over as many different artists as you can and figure out what you like.

the last 2 that we used were Adams and Carlson. Not sure that Carlson is still doing them. Too bad as I have a 10.5 pound landlocked salmon I would like to have done at some point

all of that said, if I kept the fish. I’d look at skin mount

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I know zero about taxidermy. However, Ethan caught a monster yesterday and was curious. Anyone on here do a skin or a replica mount? Is one cheaper than the other? Benefits to one or the other?
Is there a thread with said fish in it?

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
We have had 3 replicas done and have been happy with each. One of my biggest criticisms of replicas is that many look fake to me. They are either far to shiny or they don’t have that life like sag in the belly. They are just that a replica . I paid $11 an inch for both of mine

it seems to me that those that do replicas are getting better at it. There are still some out that that shouldn’t. Painting fish is far different than doing a head.

Repilcas use blanks that are close to what you caught. Most artists will be able to slightly modify the blank to closely fit what you caught but they aren’t exact. My only advice would be to look over as many different artists as you can and figure out what you like.

the last 2 that we used were Adams and Carlson. Not sure that Carlson is still doing them. Too bad as I have a 10.5 pound landlocked salmon I would like to have done at some point

all of that said, if I kept the fish. I’d look at skin mount
Ok, thats good info. I'm going to push him towards spending his money on a big printout. My issue with taxidermy is that it lacks the external details of the day. Weather, participants, background, etc - pictures can grab all that, but he seems very interested in some type of mount for his wall.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Those are great pictures. Congrats on topping the 10 lb mark!!

Freeze the fish and take your time looking for a good taxidermist. Bring the pictures so he can duplicate the colors.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
OH MY!!!!!! THAT'S FRIGGIN AWESOME!!!! So I had my sons brook trout done in a skin mount. I'm with Jay on the replicas look too fake If not done right. With that being said, I've seen some terrible skin mounts where the painting is terrible, or the head doesn't fit the body. I was fortunate enough to have my sons fish come out perfect. Ed Kennilius in southern NH does and very nice job with skin mounts. My advice , particularly with a fish of a lifetime like that is to get all the references and pictures from whoever you choose. Let them know you want nothing less than perfection and if they can't achieve it, that's fine you'll go some place else. You can always re-cape a bad deer mount. That fish can't be fixed up if someone half ass' it.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Thats one heck of a fish ! Good luck in finding a taxidermist . Im sure there are some good ones around .

I've heard the name that NHH mentioned by others that said he does a nice job on mounts and fish. Never saw his work though.

Leon Verville in Loudon NH is a perfectionist but I believe he is not doing fish anymore.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Thats one heck of a fish ! Good luck in finding a taxidermist . Im sure there are some good ones around .

I've heard the name that NHH mentioned by others that said he does a nice job on mounts and fish. Never saw his work though.

Leon Verville in Loudon NH is a perfectionist but I believe he is not doing fish anymore.
Leon is awesome, but you're correct. He won't take fish any longer.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Thanks gents, good info.

It was almost a 20 minute fight that I captured mostly on video, so hopefully he'll have plenty of ways he can relive it even if we dont mount it.

Personally, Im more interested in checking its stomach contents then making some chowder.

JDK

Reaction score
That is a great fish. Congratulations to the young man.

Gene Bahr does carvings that are spectacular But you are going to pay for it

JDK

Reaction score
But I’m with you. The older I get the less I like taxidermy.

Browseline

Reaction score
But I’m with you. The older I get the less I like taxidermy.
I'm a little off subject here but this same thing happened to me JDK. About 20 years ago I decided that the 6 mounts I had was enough, (and expensive) and I needed something different so I started doing Euro mounts ( which were free) and mounting the antlers on plaques and displaying pictures so they were all easy to look at. Since then I've noticed that people (including me) pay a lot more attention to the pictures than they do to the mounts and other antlers. They glance at the antlers, but study and ask questions about the pictures. Pete takes some wonderful pictures that would look great blown up and framed in some way. When you get older you think more about the people that were with you and the memory of the day than you do of any kind of mount. I regret that I didn't take many pictures when I was younger. It is so much easier to do now.P1012721.JPGP1012721.JPG

Browseline

Reaction score
That is a wonderful brown trout that Ethan caught and some very nice pictures Pete! With some good pictures and measurements, Ethan could have a replica done years later, maybe when money is a little easier to come by for him.

Escout711

Reaction score
There was a member on this forum, jvan was the screen name, that lives up near Fitchburg, MA and he does some great work on fish. He did a monster walleye my buddy caught, and it came out great.

Escout711

Reaction score
There was a member on this forum, jvan was the screen name, that lives up near Fitchburg, MA and he does some great work on fish. He did a monster walleye my buddy caught, and it came out great.
Here was a thread with an example of his work.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I'm a little off subject here but this same thing happened to me JDK. About 20 years ago I decided that the 6 mounts I had was enough, (and expensive) and I needed something different so I started doing Euro mounts ( which were free) and mounting the antlers on plaques and displaying pictures so they were all easy to look at. Since then I've noticed that people (including me) pay a lot more attention to the pictures than they do to the mounts and other antlers. They glance at the antlers, but study and ask questions about the pictures. Pete takes some wonderful pictures that would look great blown up and framed in some way. When you get older you think more about the people that were with you and the memory of the day than you do of any kind of mount. I regret that I didn't take many pictures when I was younger. It is so much easier to do now.View attachment 23283View attachment 23283
So funny you say this. I went back and forth with mounting this years buck. I'm a huge fan of pictures for the very reasons you say, and I'd be the guy you described. I'd look at your mounts, tell you they look great and be done in minutes after asking what each one weighed. But I'd stand in front of those pictures and absolutely look at every detail in each. From the weather , how thick it was , how many guys were with you, How bad was the drag, and every thing between.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
I don’t know if I’d have the fish mounted or not, but I wouldn’t do the replica thing. It would either be the real thing or nothing.
Congratulations to the boys on some great fish.