First year Chestnut tree report

VTwoodchuck

Reaction score
Last year I decided to plant some Dustan Chestnut trees in the landing that I cleared last year. I had removed all the stumps and planted some rye to keep the ferns out. My Chestnut Hill trees arrived in early April but, I kept them dormant until May.IMG_1948.jpg

I planted them like any tree with a mix of the natural soil, bone meal and peat moss.

Last edited:

VTwoodchuck

Reaction score
The trees were year old sprigs. They arrived in good shape but I felt that when the tied the trees together that the tie wrap was too tight and two saplings had dead buds above the tie-wrap. For the most part they had good buds.

IMG_1988.jpg

VTwoodchuck

Reaction score
I started them in the tan grow tubes and now have added the fence to protect them from feeding deer.IMG_1991.jpg
They are about 25 feet apart with a nice southern exposure.

Now on August first I have two outstanding trees, two good solid trees and two that may not make it.
I suspect that I will add six more next year.

IMG_2299.jpg

Last edited:

Browseline

Reaction score
Looks like you have a nice spot for them.

I planted 4 Dunstan chestnut trees last Sept 25th in my field. I got the trees from NH Mountains. They all made it through the winter and have grown about 50%. I took this picture this evening of one. They are all about the same.

Attachments

VTwoodchuck

Reaction score
Looks like you have a nice spot for them.

I planted 4 Dunstan chestnut trees last Sept 25th in my field. I got the trees from NH Mountains. They all made it through the winter and have grown about 50%. I took this picture this evening of one. They are all about the same.
Those look great. This has been a great year for growing anything. Wintering is my next concern.

Longbow:
I guess my wording was clumsy. I cleared the landing of Hemlocks. I kept the maples(we sugar) and a few rogue apple trees. Nuts in 5-6 years.....hopefully

HuntZ

Reaction score
That's nice. Any new updates about the chestnut tree?