First week of the 2019 Maine rifle season.

Browseline

Reaction score
I spent the first 6 days of rifle season (for non-residents) in Maine with another guy in our group. A third guy stayed for 4 days (hung around camp after getting a nice buck on Tuesday.) We lost one member of our group of five who passed away in April at 78 years old. I had hunted with him for 46 years. Another member couldn't come as his wife had major surgery on Nov. 1st. I ended up seeing one doe, the other fellow saw a doe and small rack buck but had no shot, and the third guy, who is now 81 years old, connected on a nice buck (214.2 lbs cleaned out) . He got me on the radio at the 9am check, shot the deer about 8:30 and I got to him to help at about 10:30 with the sled. We got the deer out about 2:30 I guess. He wanted to bring out the heart and liver and the lungs were in it ,so we were dragging about 240 lbs slightly up hill for 500 or so yards according to his GPS. He drove up a mountain as far as he could then took a logging road off to the side and cut the buck off as it was headed to a spruce knob to bed, we think. We have shot other bucks in that area doing the same thing.

Friday and Saturday we had snow, about 1 to 3 inches. It was bitter cold both days with a roaring wind blowing snow and 12 degrees on Saturday and 18 degrees on Friday. We saw next to nothing for deer tracks on both those days. I did see 5 moose, a bull, 3 cows and a calf. Very few hunters around and most didn't appear to leave their trucks, so we had the mountains to our self. Some of us plan on going back the last 10 or 12 days of the season and hunt both in Maine and NH as our camp is very near the NH border. The 81 year old is the same guy who got the buck I wrote about in Maine last year. No matter how the rest of the season goes it was great to have at least one adventure so far. Hopefully we will be good for another deer or 2.

Attachments

amclimber

Reaction score
You guys are unbelievable. Year after year with the big bucks. Congratulations to all!

Last edited:

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Browse that is fantastic. Another brute of a buck from your group. Sorry about your loss this year. And good luck with the rest of the season.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
At 81 I hope to be able to just walk out in the woods !
And your 81 yr old friend is out there knocking down 200+ lbers and dragging them out too ! Congrats to him !

Sorry for the loss of your hunting buddy. All of you must be hunting with a heavy heart.

groundtender

Reaction score
Great report, very inspiring to this 68 year old. Sorry for the loss of your longtime hunting friend. Keep it up and congratulations to your 81 year old

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
Awesome Browse, good adventure! Nice buck for your buddy- lucky to have you young fellas to drag it out!

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I think it is so awesome that your friend is still at it at 81 years young. Keep up the good work!

Grandkid

Reaction score
Your group are fantastic deer slayers. Love the photos of you guys dragging the out.

Roger-

802-603hunter

Reaction score
About as steady a collection of seasoned northwoods hunters as you’ll find. Congrats to your campmate and good luck to you for the rest of the season.

Vtbuck223

Reaction score
46 years hunting together...wonderful and sad at the same time...must feel like a part of you is missing. You guys are amazing...enjoy the rest of the season!

.270 Pump

Reaction score
What can one say other than congrats to you & your buddies. You can’t put a price on those longtime friendships.
Your 81 year old friend is making me feel a little lazy but at the same time he’s stoking the fire in myself and I’m betting in others too. Thanks for sharing the story.