First Scoped Gun

Gwlambo

Reaction score
I bought my first rifle that I topped with a scope last November. I bought a Tikka T3X in 270 Win, and topped it with a Luepold VX 5HD - 2-10. I had a sheep trip planned for this August and my other guns are all open sights and my shooting has been 95% within 100 yards for decades. Due to the virus I only recently made it out to a range. I am not a great shooter, I shoot righty but am left eye dominant and do not have interest in switching. I have come to realize waiting even a half a second my eye adjusts. Anyways a couple weeks back I got out to the range finally. What a rush. After sighting in, and shooting 100, 200, 300, 400 yards, I was able to stretch it out and was consistently hitting targets at 600 yards. I would not say I was confident, actually probably a bit surprised, but was that ever fun. I will get out in a couple more weeks and the guy I was with was confident that next trip I will be hitting at 900 and 1,000 yards. My view on hunting is that I want to be exceptionally confident within 400 yards, but will enjoy shooting longer distances at ranges.

My scope allows me to get a custom turret but for that I have to determine a bullet. I went threw some rem core Locks because as that is what I use with my 7400 but they are not ideal for distance. I used some Hornady HTC's and they were good but if anyone has suggestions would love to hear. I will likely go with 130 grains and something not too difficult to find. I intend to use this as my go to gun for things like, sheep, goat, elk etc., but will stick with my open sights for deer bear etc up in Maine/NH.

Last point I would make is that I think I would have liked a reticle with the mil dots. I am sure I will get by - or get another gun.

tikka3.png

Reaction score
I bought my first rifle that I topped with a scope last November. I bought a Tikka T3X in 270 Win, and topped it with a Luepold VX 5HD - 2-10. I had a sheep trip planned for this August and my other guns are all open sights and my shooting has been 95% within 100 yards for decades. Due to the virus I only recently made it out to a range. I am not a great shooter, I shoot righty but am left eye dominant and do not have interest in switching. I have come to realize waiting even a half a second my eye adjusts. Anyways a couple weeks back I got out to the range finally. What a rush. After sighting in, and shooting 100, 200, 300, 400 yards, I was able to stretch it out and was consistently hitting targets at 600 yards. I would not say I was confident, actually probably a bit surprised, but was that ever fun. I will get out in a couple more weeks and the guy I was with was confident that next trip I will be hitting at 900 and 1,000 yards. My view on hunting is that I want to be exceptionally confident within 400 yards, but will enjoy shooting longer distances at ranges.

My scope allows me to get a custom turret but for that I have to determine a bullet. I went threw some rem core Locks because as that is what I use with my 7400 but they are not ideal for distance. I used some Hornady HTC's and they were good but if anyone has suggestions would love to hear. I will likely go with 130 grains and something not too difficult to find. I intend to use this as my go to gun for things like, sheep, goat, elk etc., but will stick with my open sights for deer bear etc up in Maine/NH.

Last point I would make is that I think I would have liked a reticle with the mil dots. I am sure I will get by - or get another gun.

View attachment 23696
I am assuming you're set up to handload. Check the websites for Berger Bullets and also Sierra Bullets. Both make premium long range bullets in the 130 grain weight for .270's. Probably 90% of the good competitive long range shooters in the States, if not worldwide, shoot one or the other. Traditionally, target style bullets have not performed well on game but now both of the above make hunting bullets along with Hornady. I have no experience with the .270 so I can't make any specific recommendations but I have shot thousands of Sierra and Berger Bullets and they are great products. Played around with Hornady match bullets in 7mm and they were of good quality as well.

If you get serious about handloading for long range, there are some things you should know. Bergers manual has a lot of info on precision reloading along with really good data for their bullets.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
I am assuming you're set up to handload. Check the websites for Berger Bullets and also Sierra Bullets. Both make premium long range bullets in the 130 grain weight for .270's. Probably 90% of the good competitive long range shooters in the States, if not worldwide, shoot one or the other. Traditionally, target style bullets have not performed well on game but now both of the above make hunting bullets along with Hornady. I have no experience with the .270 so I can't make any specific recommendations but I have shot thousands of Sierra and Berger Bullets and they are great products. Played around with Hornady match bullets in 7mm and they were of good quality as well.

If you get serious about hand loading for long range, there are some things you should know. Bergers manual has a lot of info on precision reloading along with really good data for their bullets.
Thanks VTPalma - and my wife thanks you too. Just what I needed - another hobby. I am not set up at all for hand loading. But the long range shooting, and shooting in general, can be really addicting. It is probably something I ought to look into and your book recommendation will be a great way to start.
I have heard that many of the competitive shooters use bullets not specific to hunting so that is something I am focused on. I'll check out Sierra and Berger for sure.

Last edited:

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
While hand loading sounds fantastic it is not something I

Thanks VTPalma - and my wife thanks you too. Just what I needed - another hobby. I am not set up at all for hand loading. But the long range shooting, and shooting in general, can be really addicting. It is probably something I ought to look into and your book recommendation will be a great way to start.
I have heard that many of the competitive shooters use bullets not specific to hunting so that is something I am focused on. I'll check out Sierra and Berger for sure.
I'm the same, don't need more equipment and another hobby. A couple of clicks and boxes of ammo arrive at my house. 😃

Latest posts