First Rhode Island turkey.

Meatseeker

Reaction score
Well.... I've seemed to inspire the young man I am mentoring on turkey hunting this year. In an earlier post I shared how I was able to put him on two nice birds in MA during the first week of our season. He lives in RI and immediately following his experiences turkey hunting in MA, he started to scout out opportunities to hunt in RI. It didn't take him too long and he found a nice piece of public ground that held a few birds. He invited me to go with him, so I got my RI license and joined him on a few hunts last week. The first day out we had several gobbling on the roost. We played with them for about an hour but ultimately they decided to all head off with the hens they were with. Went back to spot 4 days later and tried again. Birds were gobbling good again from the same roost area. They roost right on the border of private land and typically head to this small farm that we can't access not long after fly down. On this morning, both the hens and gobblers were super talkative. We had several hens cutting and yelping back to our call along with lots of gobbles. This went on for about 40 minutes. At one point they closed the distance to just out of our line of sight and I thought it was going to happen... but then they drifted away again. Then all the sudden another gobbler fired off from behind us. He gobbled again and was closer. I told my young friend to spin and face the other way. After a few minutes we saw the unmistakable white glowing head coming through the timber. He got to within 40 yards and saw the hen and jake decoy we had out. He instantly popped into strut and then started pirouetting and inching closer. At 25 yards he went behind a big oak and I told my friend to get ready. When the gobbler stepped out on the other side of the tree he instantly saw us and periscoped his neck and putted. I said "shoot now"... then I here "CLICK". The gobbler turns and starts to scoot out of there, so I shifted up on to one knee and shot and rolled him at 30 yards as he was escaping. When my friend loaded his gun (semi) he was trying to be quiet and gently closed the action on his shotgun. Well, the bolt never locked into battery and when he pulled the trigger the gun didn't go off. I felt bad shooting the bird from under him but the bird was getting out of dodge quick and my friend never would have been able to cycle his action and get a shot off. He was super excited for me and happy he was able to put me on a turkey.

First RI long beard;

22.25 lbs, 1 1/8" and 3/4" spurs, 10.5" beard

bobRI2022.jpg

JJM6

Reaction score
I have an older Remington 1100. If you don’t let the bolt slam shut it will do the same thing every time. I let the spring close the bolt on all semi autos since. I learned the hard way too!

Latest posts