First Maine Turkey Trip

medrhunter

Reaction score
I needed to get away for a bit so I made a quick 2 day trip to Maine for turkey.
My daughters wedding finally happened after 2 covid postponements, my wife and I are trying to buy a new house but bidding wars are killing us and work has been crazy.
I had been talking back and forth with Mike Stevens (Moose River Guide Service) for a couple years about coming up.
Mike guided my buddy and I for our first year deer hunting in Jackman in 2011 and we have kept in touch ever since.
He had the flu and a fever for most of that week but he still showed up every morning and gave it his all.
I knew I could count on him.
I gave him a call and lined things up.
Day 1 Mike brought us to a large farm where he had land owner permission to hunt.
He said he knew some birds were roosting behind a particular field and thats where we were going to set up.
We snuck in well before day light.
As the sun rose it became very apparent we were in the right spot.
We heard gobbles and hens calling, on our left, right and behind us.
At around sunrise, 2 hens and a tom flew down in the field directly in front of us.
As soon as they hit the dirt they turned and walked off into the woods.
I did have a shot, but decided to pass because the Tom was too close to the hen.
The gobbling continued around us but began traveling away.
Mike hit a couple hen calls and we waited.
After a few minutes there was a gobble very close behind us.
I looked over my left shoulder to see 4 Toms making their way through the brush, headed our way.
They were following an old skidder trail which was about 30 yards behind us.
I had my head and eyes turned about as far as I could, straining and I could barely make them out, staring our way.
Mike had his back to them and didn't see them coming, so he countinued to call.
As he called they continued to walk further behind me and out of my sight.
I had no choice but to try to turn to get a better view and my gun up before they were gone.
As I started to inch my way around to the side, Mike heard me moving and knew that I would only do that for a reason and stopped calling.
The birds stopped moving and started strutting.
They were behind a tree and down the back side of the trail where I could only see their heads and tops on their fans.
For a moment they all disappeared out of sight, so I took that opportunity to make a quick turn in thier direction.
As soon as I turned, one popped his head up and I fired.
Dropped him in his tracks as the other 3 scrambled off.
It ended up being a jake, but I was happy.
We spent the rest of that day and the next trying to fill my second tag.
We put on many miles and got close to at least another 10 birds but no joy.
All in all it was just what the doctor ordered.

IMG_0398.JPG

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Congrats - that is a great trip report. Mike is a really nice guy too and must be nice just to hang with in the woods.

tobydog

Reaction score
Time well spent.

Good luck with the house hunt. My wife and I went through the same. Didn't end until a friend of mine let us know about a friend of his who wanted to sell. Made a quick deal wo realtors. I'm sure something will come your way.

Latest posts