First Ever Striper

lester2

Reaction score
My son moved to RI from NC a couple months ago. He did a bunch of inshore saltwater fishing down there and knows the tackle and techniques. He only gets sundays off from his job so yesterday my wife and I trekked down to spend last evening and today, Fathers Day, with him. We scouted Point Judith and Charlestown Breachway and decided to hit the Breachway this morning. For our first outing there we did ok. Fished about 3-4 hrs and caught 3 stripers between us. All small schoolies, maybe 20-24” but fun to catch. Briefly tried some cut bait but stickbaits and swim baits did the trick. Growing up in central and northern VT I’ve not salt water fished much except on deep sea party boats, we had a blast. Here’s a pic of my first ever striper.

15B01FCA-7776-484E-A50D-5D088AB59DFA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

JDK

Reaction score
Congratulations. I used to spend a lot of time drifting plugs off the soft side of that breachway.

lester2

Reaction score
Congratulations. I used to spend a lot of time drifting plugs off the soft side of that breachway.
Thanks. It was a lot of fun, but I could not imagine hooking up with a really big fish out there. In fact a local guy who fishes there a lot cautioned us about trying to get down close to the water on the rocks should that happen. Said every year someone goes in and doesn’t get back out.

JDK

Reaction score
When I sit back and think of how many Stan Gibbs swimmers I lost there it makes me sick to my stomach. I could be retired now . My brother and I used to canoe across from the hard side. It was crowed when the tide was early but if it was late (say after mid-night) you were usually alone. I bet times have changed. A friend had 2-50s there one night.

Hope I'm not spot burning but there used to be a bowl to the west of the rock (just west of the breachway) on Charlestown Beach that always seemed to hold fish.

lester2

Reaction score
Sounds like you better bring a long handled gaff with you. I always wore metal creepers when I fished slimy rocks.
I’ve read a few articles and watched some videos this evening. Sound advice LB, jetties can be dangerous places. A low profile PFD is another item I’ll likely add to the kit.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I’ve read a few articles and watched some videos this evening. Sound advice LB, jetties can be dangerous places. A low profile PFD is another item I’ll likely add to the kit.
I crawled around on those rocks down at the ocean since I was a little kid. Of course as a kid and teenager we just wore sneakers, but we took some bad falls. Your bones are like rubber when you’re young, now they’re brittle. LOL When I got really serious about it I got the rock spikes(corkers) can walk around on those slippery rocks like they’re dry.

Latest posts