First deer - MA Archery doe

tobydog

Reaction score
I am a self-taught deer hunter for the most part. However, I say it that way because I have learned a ton from this site in the past 8 years. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge. It has been a long road for me to get my first deer and the work finally paid off.

On November 15th I got into my stand just before legal. About 10 mins after legal I heard something coming my way. It was coming downhill from the south east directly to me. As it got closer I realized it was a doe, I drew but she decided to take a left turn at about 15 yards. I stopped her and let it fly, she took off further down the hill. A few seconds later I heard a crash. I was not convinced I got her (because I have missed so many times in the past). I waited about 45 minutes and got down to look for my arrow, I looked for about 5 minutes and could not find it but I also didn’t see any blood so my doubts grew bigger. I walked in the direction she ran and when I got into a clearing about 60 yards away, I could see the sun hitting her belly. I was psyched. The shot went to the right of her spine more towards the back. It grazed the top of her stomach, but it also went through the diaphragm on the left side and came to a rest against her left ribs. As she was running, the Muzzy Trocar was bouncing around in her vitals. I think she died fairly quickly.

I did not weigh her but between me and the butcher, we figured close to 70lbs. Small but I am thankful my 8 years of trying has finally paid off. It is a huge weight off my shoulders after going 7.5 seasons without success.

I have spent many, many hours in the woods, a lot of times seeing nothing and getting discouraged. This is where Hunting Chat comes in. Over the years, reading about all of the successes and failures other guys were having has kept me going. Not to mention all of the little nuances about deer and what it takes to get one that I have picked up from you guys. Much appreciated to say the least.

doe_resized.jpg

tobydog

Reaction score
Good luck I had five done at once two on both sides low, and one under the belly button. I had it done a couple years ago.
I guess I should be glad I only have one:)
Tried getting it later ion the month so I would not interrupt hunting but the doc could not accommodate. Couldn't wait till Jan because of deductible.

Latest posts