First Crossbow

lester2

Reaction score
I picked up my first crossbow recently, an Excalibur Phoenix with a quiver, six bolts with field points, extra string and cocking rope, and a scope. Paid $400 cash, looks to be in excellent condition. How'd I do? Any comments, tips, etc from anyone who has one are much appreciated.

Lester

mowbizz

Reaction score
Been researching as I am going to buy my first one too.
Sounds like you did good for that package....can't offer any review or advice though.
I'm sure the resident Excalibur folk will answer that for you.
God luck!

lester2

Reaction score
Thanks Mo, good luck. Probly won't shoot mine til spring, when I do I'll post a review.

Lester

12 ring

Reaction score
I am guessing it is a used bow for that money. And you did great that was my first crossbow too and it was a great bow I sold it to another member on this sight when I went to my Matrix 380 and last I heard he loved that bow too. Now remember it comes with a life time warranty so anything wrong it is covered. the first thing I would do if I was you would be cock it then feel the limbs all the way up and then down to see if you feel any splinters. If you do contact Excalibur and they will tell you how to return the limbs for new ones. Next check every bold on the bow and make sure it's tight. Then take it out and shoot it and listen to it make sure it does not make any funny noises. Then sight it in at 20 yards 30 40 and have a ball. If I can be any more help send me a PM. And congrats on the bow I think you went with the best Company in the market...

lester2

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice 12ring, I'll certainly do the things you stated.

lester2

Reaction score
So it's been a while and here's an update. I did what 12ring suggested, no problems detected. Put a new string on it, let it stretch for a couple weeks, ended up just inside the lower index line. Took it out last week and shot it, WOW is all I can say. Started at 20, once if figured out the speed ring on the scope, dialed it in and 1" groups out to 40 yards. Really looking forward to bow season!

12 ring

Reaction score
Sounds great Spikehorn. I wish you all the best with it. They surly drive tacks. I will expect to see photos of your firs kill with it on here. Again good luck....

lester2

Reaction score
Well I'm near the end of my second season crossbow hunting. It's been 35 years since I last chased deer with a bow, and it was a newfangled Bear Whitetail back then!

Feeling pretty comfortable with the Excalibur. Put an illuminated reticle Shadow Zone scope on it this summer and dialed it in out to 50 yards. Practiced a lot with it, not only at the aiming point distances but also just set my bag out, eye judged and shot. Unfortunately I didn't practice at all out of a tree stand or other elevated platform, and it could have been trouble.

After no luck in VT I headed to Ohio this past Monday with three friends. Started seeing deer right away Tuesday then found some good fresh buck sign Wednesday. Sat on it that night with only a doe to speak of, then got back on it Thursday. Had a good buck chase a doe by me around 10am, no shot. Did some midday scouting then came back around 2pm to settle in for the afternoon. I set my climber at the top of a steep bank and got up in the tree about 15 feet which put me approximately 25 feet above the forest floor at the bottom of the bank. Put out a scent wafer drenched in Tink's and sat back. At around 5pm I heard three grunts to my right along the bank. I sat up alert but nothing, even after I bleated a couple times. Then about 5:25 I see movement coming down the bank to my right and as soon as I realized it was a deer I saw horns. He came in quick, walking straight down the bank to the bottom and turning left, straight for the scent. I had the tree the wafer was in ranged at 20 yards so when he got there I waited a few seconds for him to turn broadside but the best he gave me was a quartering to shot. I aimed mid shoulder, hoping to catch lung as it angled in but the shot was high, possibly because of the steep angle, but most likely Because i rushed it. While not the placement I wanted the effect was immediate and fatal. It went in above the shoulder, broke the spine, clipped the top of the lungs and lodged in the offside ribs. He want down hard, right there, and never got up, although he thrashed a bit and moved maybe ten feet. By the time I climbed down and got to him he was dead. I've since read how steep angle bow shots should be aimed low like a rifle, something I'd never considered.

Overall I'm pretty impressed with the bow, it's accuracy, and it's hitting power. Never did I consider it could break the spine of a mature whitetail, but I'm glad it did.

He turned out to be a basket rack 8pt, I'd estimate his field dressed weight around 160lbs since they don't weigh them here. Pretty happy with what is not only my first crossbow kill but my first ever archery kill.

Lester

mowbizz

Reaction score
Nice going! I have yet to let loose a bolt at a deer from my Excalibur Micro...

VTHunter08

Reaction score
pictures, pictures, pictures!! :)

Congrats! We're leaving for Ohio Wednesday, we're all pretty pumped

jvan

Reaction score
I just set my Dad up with a PSE fang 350xt. Boy was that fun to setup and shoot.

lester2

Reaction score
Got home tonight, so now I can post a picture. He's not one of those Ohio bruisers, but I'm happy to have taken him.

Lester IMG_0063.jpg IMG_0063.jpg

VTHunter08

Reaction score
very cool! nice buck there!
jvan my dad picked up a fang 2 years ago for ohio. He really likes it, and they are reasonably priced in my opinion!

Latest posts