First Coyote

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
After a weekend of fishing and scaring the hell out of some fat woodchucks, I was driving my oldest and his friend home. One of the boys said "Hey Pete, whats the brown spot in the back of the field?" I grabbed my spotting scope and realized it was a coyote, laying in the high grass, with only its head showing. I get the idea it was waiting for some turkey poults to wander by - they're always in that field. The boys wanted to try and get it, so I kept driving, and dropped them off a quarter mile upwind. I told them to get tucked under the overhang on the edge of the field and slowly walk until they could look down over the break in the elevation and they'd see the dog if it was still laying there.

When they got to that point, as I watched the entire time from a couple hundred yards away, the coyote turned and looked at them from about 75 yards away. My sons friend took a shot with his open sighted .22, and it looked like the coyote was going to be down for good. But it jumped up and go, and at that point, my son put a follow up in her, and that was the end of that.

They were pretty pumped to get their first coyote together in such an exciting way.

rpc55

Reaction score
awesome job with the spot and stalk! great shooting too!!