First Archery Deer

benny8

Reaction score
I have hunted with a bow for about 30 seasons. For one reason or another, I was never able to seal the deal. From hitting phantom twigs to just out right missing, and one time making a bad hit that resulted in a high back hit doe that made a full recovery. After a work related injury that made shooting my compound unsafe, I applied for and received the disabled crossbow permit. Last Thursday afternoon I left for Virginia. My folks purchased a home there this spring and after a visit in July we met the neighbor who was an avid hunter. He invited us to hunt with him and his family. During the summer my Dad and him put out cameras and treestands and everything was ready for my visit. Friday evening was my first sit. My treestand was on a steep bank over looking 3 deer trails that looked like cow paths. It was thick in front of me but opened up to the sides and back of me. A small maple curved in front of the stand with small limbs and leaves helping to break up my outline. At first I thought it might pose a problem, but when things came together, it was an added benefit. I had been in my tree for about an hour when I caught a glimpse of movement. The deer was straight away down the hill in front of me. He worked to my right and out of sight in the laurel. I grunted softly a few times, but never saw him come out. After a few minutes, I caught what I thought was a tail flicker and sure enough, he was worked to my left. He slowly made his way out of the thick stuff and headed straight to me. Now the limbs of the maple were keeping me hidden. He got to less than 20 yards and stopped to munch on the smorgasbord of nuts that lay on the ground. I kept saying to myself, left or right buddy. Finally, he decided to my right and when he got behind a big white oak, I levelled my Barnett Whitetail and when his vitals cleared my Rage broadhead found its mark. Like the cliché, I put the Rage thru the cage. He reared back and barrel rolled 20 yards down the hill to his final resting spot. It wasn't a big deer, but it was my first archery deer, first with a crossbow, and a trophy to me. He was a 59# button buck. Dad and I had venison tenderloin and eggs for breakfast Saturday morning after our morning hunt. I sat back in that stand on Saturday night and saw two more deer, but ran out of daylight. It was a fun quick trip.
Aaron
va button.jpg
va button2.jpg
va button3.jpg

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Very Nice ! Congrats !

Benny , they are ALL trophies !

And I bet those tenderloins for breakfast with Dad would prove that !

The Breakfast Of Champions ! :D

Last edited:

Bill/NH

Reaction score
Congrats on finally breaking the ice!!!! There will be some awesomely tender backstraps from that deer, my mouth waters thinking about it!!!!

benny8

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Just talked with my Dad last night and he saw 9 deer on Saturday evening. Deer density down there is much higher than ours up here.

benny8

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Headed down for Thanksgiving during the rifle season. Hoping to get a nice buck down there to make some specialty stuff with. The two deer we got this weekend will take care of the steaks and sausage for us, another deer will go towards brats, breakfast links and snack sticks.