Firearms permit

PaMass

Reaction score
Was reading that Mass. residence have to have a FID permit to own/transport/buy ammo for a gun?Have to have a Hunter Ed class or training?Am I understanding this correctly?What about a non-resident just wanting to hunt there?

PaMass

Reaction score
Ok. I thought I read Non resident can’t buy ammo or gun there.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Ok. I thought I read Non resident can’t buy ammo or gun there.
Ammo there is no FFL needed . But a gun is a different story. For example I am a resident of NH . I go to Kittery Trading Post in Maine and I purchase a firearm . They send the gun over to their office just over the border to their NH FFL office where I actually make the purchase . If you live in Mass I believe the gun is shipped to an FFL in Mass . Not 100 percent positive on that though. Hopefully some other members from Mass will chime in on that .

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
Ammo there is no FFL needed . But a gun is a different story. For example I am a resident of NH . I go to Kittery Trading Post in Maine and I purchase a firearm . They send the gun over to their office just over the border to their NH FFL office where I actually make the purchase . If you live in Mass I believe the gun is shipped to an FFL in Mass . Not 100 percent positive on that though. Hopefully some other members from Mass will chime in on that .
Ummm...no.
PaMass....you are correct. Non residents cannot buy ammo or firearms in Mass without a non-resident LTC/FID. They are allowed to possess firearms and ammo while hunting with just a NR hunting license. As a Mass resident you are allowed to purchase a long guns (most of them at least) out of state and they do not need to be shipped to a FFL. You are not allowed to buy a handgun out of state and take possession of it at that time (That's a federal law). YOu can purchase a handgun out of state, but it needs to be on the Mass approved list and it needs to be shipped to an in state FFL

257Roberts

Reaction score
I believe that Kittery closed the small office over the border in Portsmouth a couple yrs ago....

mowbizz

Reaction score
I believe that Kittery closed the small office over the border in Portsmouth a couple yrs ago....
Nope, still open. Did a transfer there last year and drove by a few weeks ago.

arrowslam21

Reaction score
Was reading that Mass. residence have to have a FID permit to own/transport/buy ammo for a gun?Have to have a Hunter Ed class or training?Am I understanding this correctly?What about a non-resident just wanting to hunt there?

arrowslam21

Reaction score
I’d rethink coming to Mass for any sporting-related reason. You guys have it great in NH & ME where there’s a long sporting tradition. The police here don’t know the firearms laws and will err on the side of arresting you. Don’t get caught here with a round or shell inadvertently not in a locked storage box. Go ahead and try to buy ammo or a firearm here from out of state. You’ll be laughed at. Our Fisheries & Wildlife Dept. has been mismanaged for years and years and bows to the Humane Society. Our attorney general creates firearms restrictions based on a whim and without legislation. Oh, if you do come here, you better consult the list of firearms that the Commonwealth will allow you to hunt with. This is why most guys I know that live in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts go to NH or ME. You guys have it good up north.

hammertime

Reaction score
I believe you can buy a long gun from an FFL across state lines, but a handgun must be transferred in the state in which you reside. LL Cote has an outlet in Maine to transfer handguns

Latest posts