Fire Starter for your pack

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Just wanted to pass this along..... Last year I was fishing a local trout pond when I started talking to a guy that invented these fire starters. He gave me a half dozen to try. I was more than impressed. I just found out he is selling them on eBay. I have nothing to gain by passing this along. I will certainly have a couple of these in my pack or jacket pocket while deer hunting. I thought you NEK and Maine guys would find use in these as well. It's cheap insurance. The first time you light a camp fire in your back yard you'll be sold on them, I promise.

The link for eBay is 10 fire starters for the 9.95 plus shipping. He does include a "free" fire starter stick as well.

mowbizz

Reaction score
I believe you mentioned these last year...because of your post,
I got in touch with Marty last year and he met me at predetermined place and I bought 25 of the fire starters. Gave some to my brothers for Christmas and kept the rest for myself. Haven’t tried one out yet but how the heck can it not work?
Bought myself and each brother a ferro-rod as well.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
It looks like Marty is no longer selling these unfortunately . I can't seem to find anything in a google search and he's not selling them on eBay any longer. That's a shame. They worked great!!

mowbizz

Reaction score
It looks like Marty is no longer selling these unfortunately . I can't seem to find anything in a google search and he's not selling them on eBay any longer. That's a shame. They worked great!!
When I met Marty he was pretty sick with “something” (I want to say some type of cancer).
He told me he was trying to sell his idea to some big outdoor entity for big $$ then going to Miami to run naked girl charters with his son! 😄
Sounded like a good plan to me! If I recall, the outdoor entity was Coleman…?

NH Hunter

Reaction score
When I met Marty he was pretty sick with “something” (I want to say some type of cancer).
He told me he was trying to sell his idea to some big outdoor entity for big $$ then going to Miami to run naked girl charters with his son! 😄
Sounded like a good plan to me! If I recall, the outdoor entity was Coleman…?

When I met him he had mentioned he was trying to work with Coleman as well. I hope he's alright and that's not the reason they are no longer for sale.

41mag

Reaction score
Keep the dryer lint from your dryer screen when you clean it.
Fill up an empty TP roll with it.
Put it in a ziploc bag to keep dry in your pack.
Add match and you'll have fire.
Free.
Learned more than one thing in Boy Scouts....... Right Russ?

tobydog

Reaction score
Keep the dryer lint from your dryer screen when you clean it.
Fill up an empty TP roll with it.
Put it in a ziploc bag to keep dry in your pack.
Add match and you'll have fire.
Free.
Learned more than one thing in Boy Scouts....... Right Russ?
have also used dryer lint and parafin wax mixed into cardboard egg cartons. works well. learned from daughters girl scout troop.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I carry a votive candle in my pack, in my truck, sled, hiking backpack, etc. the flat ones that have the silver exterior. All you need to do is light it once, then you can tuck it under a pile of kindling or birch bark, etc. Don’t need to mess with holding a lighter and burning yourself, etc.

Last edited:

VTHunter08

Reaction score
When I'm hunting backcountry, or am out hiking for a few days I'll bring a small pill bottle with cottonballs coated in petroleum jelly. They work as a fire starter, and if you ever have a chafing issue while out it helps out with that too. For my fire starter I have since switched over to Hush pyro putty. you can get it in a .5oz tin and a 2oz tin. Stuff is amazing, and only takes a piece the size of a dime to get things going. I've been thinking about trying blackbeard fire starter too.

Xbolt

Reaction score
Instant coffee grounds (take a, handful and throw, them in a, fire place) you can start a, fire with them

Latest posts