Finally Got Out There

Split-Hoof

Reaction score
I thought it would be nice to have a shed hunting forum on the site, and was pleasantly surprised to see it up when I got back from a shedding trip. Thanks Woods!

I was getting ready to go this morning and couldn't find my shotgun shells anywhere. Instead of going to the store I decided to tote my rifle for the day in hopes of seeing a coyote.

After taking down the treestand I went to the place where I had found the nice moose shed while muzzleloader hunting. I parked the vehicle and started searching the area between the road and the high swamp. This place is a maze of old twitching trails and I was determined to cover every one of them. Four hours of constant walking and searching and I hadn't seen a thing. The animals seemed to all be hiding, probably in the swamp. I saw lots of moose beds, but no moose sheds.

I was about finished searching that section and was only 100 yards or so from the vehicle when i saw tines sticking out of the snow just off the trail. I got real excited! "Yesss, I've found it" I said to myself, but as I got closer I noticed that it seemed a bit small. It was a right antler, but not the right right antler. This one was much smaller and only had 8 points. I normally wouldn't be dissapointed making a find like this, but it was a bit of a let down since it wasn't what I was looking for. Still, I can't complain about finding my second fresh moose shed! It was covered in snow and frozen to the ground, which means that it must have dropped in November as well.

While carrying it out I flushed two partridge from a tree. It would have been a perfect opportunity for a double on the wing if I would have had my shotgun!

After that I searched the opposite side of the road. I walked constantly until just before dark but never found anything else. I wish I knew if the shed I found was the first or second antler to drop. I suspect that it was the first but I have no way of knowing for sure. I have a feeling that he might have dropped the other one in the high swamp, in which case it will never be found.

It was snowing hard when I left, which will hide any sheds that are currently on the ground. Looks like it will be spring before I get another chance to look. I'm not giving up hope even though the odds are slim that I will ever find the match.

I should have pics to share by next weekend, assuming the camera arrives on time.

janc

Uber Moderator
Reaction score
nothing wrong with having success while hunting. see any deer tracks while you were out there? They seemed to have moved away from my hunting area after the last storm.

Split-Hoof

Reaction score
Actually I did janc. It's kind of funny actually - the deer had avoided walking near the treestand since I put it up, but today there were fresh tracks of the big buck directly under it! It's funny how he seems to know that it's safe to walk there now. I considered following him to see if he might drop a horn or two, but I think it's probably too early still and plus I really wanted to focus on finding the matching moose shed. It probably would have looked bad if a warden saw me on a fresh buck track with a rifle in my hand too. Not that I'd ever see anyone else out there this time of year, but the thought did enter my mind.

I didn't see deer tracks all over the place like I normally would, but while searching for sheds I found out why. All of the deer were using one trail, and it looked like I95. They must be preparing to yard up and are getting the main routes packed right down. There was barely over an inch of snow, but by tomorrow there will probably be a foot or so up there.