Father and son dream hunt...

bigbore442001

Reaction score
My Dad and I were talking the other day about life and hunting. It is amazing how such things intertwine. When he was younger he took my mom on her honeymoon out to Wyoming. Dad took his rifle and did some deer hunting. That was in the early 1960's and times have definitely changed. We talked further and he commented that one of his dreams was to take a long trip to some place like South Dakota and hunt for pheasant and then for antelope or deer in Wyoming. He commented that it would be like a camping trip with a camping trailer or motor home. Large coolers to bring back game and many memories.

Dad is 70 and still can hunt well but I know that will change in the future. I told him that maybe a short guided hunt in North Dakota and a hunt for antelope along the ND border in Montana would be more viable. Anyways, I know that many things stand in the way but it is a thought in the back of my head. I would like to garner some opinions on the best way to do this? Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.

ToddC

Reaction score
My Dad and I were talking the other day about life and hunting. It is amazing how such things intertwine. When he was younger he took my mom on her honeymoon out to Wyoming. Dad took his rifle and did some deer hunting. That was in the early 1960's and times have definitely changed. We talked further and he commented that one of his dreams was to take a long trip to some place like South Dakota and hunt for pheasant and then for antelope or deer in Wyoming. He commented that it would be like a camping trip with a camping trailer or motor home. Large coolers to bring back game and many memories.

Dad is 70 and still can hunt well but I know that will change in the future. I told him that maybe a short guided hunt in North Dakota and a hunt for antelope along the ND border in Montana would be more viable. Anyways, I know that many things stand in the way but it is a thought in the back of my head. I would like to garner some opinions on the best way to do this? Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.[/b]
i have no idea (sorry) BUT my advice is find someon who can help point you in the direction of a good outfitter and BOOK IT!! my dad is about to turn 70 and will not budge.. he used to hunt and fish then 5 kids later and a mortgage with all work and no play he became a dull man :sad2:

i wish you the best of luck and when you go lots of pictures please???

* though i can't get my dad out, doesn't mean that i won't go :wink:

bigrak

Reaction score

Dad is 70 and still can hunt well but I know that will change in the future. I told him that maybe a short guided hunt in North Dakota and a hunt for antelope along the ND border in Montana would be more viable. Anyways, I know that many things stand in the way but it is a thought in the back of my head. I would like to garner some opinions on the best way to do this? Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.
Did you ever make the trip ?

bigbore442001

Reaction score
We never did that trip. This past winter the family went to the state of Florida for a winter vacation. While we were there I took my father on a day hunt at a large cattle ranch north of Lake Okeechobee for wild boar. The state has the second largest population of wild boar in the United States. We shot two wild boar apiece . Dad shot two nice boar with his shotgun and I had taken two with my TC Contender handgun.

Don't laugh but I have been thinking that the state of Florida could be a dream hunt in many ways. My mother and my better half would be happy in the sun while Dad and I spent three or four days at a large ranch hunting wild hogs. Such a hunt is almost guaranteed and it will not cost you an arm or a leg.

bigrak

Reaction score
We never did that trip. This past winter the family went to the state of Florida for a winter vacation. While we were there I took my father on a day hunt at a large cattle ranch north of Lake Okeechobee for wild boar. The state has the second largest population of wild boar in the United States. We shot two wild boar apiece . Dad shot two nice boar with his shotgun and I had taken two with my TC Contender handgun.

Don't laugh but I have been thinking that the state of Florida could be a dream hunt in many ways. My mother and my better half would be happy in the sun while Dad and I spent three or four days at a large ranch hunting wild hogs. Such a hunt is almost guaranteed and it will not cost you an arm or a leg.
Did you ship back the meat?:cool:

bigbore442001

Reaction score
Sorry for such a tardy reply. We packed it in coolers and used dry ice. I drove home and as quickly as possible put it in our freezer. I will state we lost a few packages as they did not freeze properly. Lets say the meat in four packages had green streaks.:eek: