FAL Questions

Ignatz

Reaction score
Well I got through Christmas with some money still in the bank so I'm looking at a present for myself. I have always been interested in a FAL, it is really the only modern military rifle that interests me. I have shot ARs and AKs and while nice they hold no real interest for me.
I know that there are two patterns the inch and the metric and they don't mix but then I read that you can maybe mix the mags if there is a cut on one reciever. It also seems that there are more parts for the metric pattern. Also I have been on some of the gun auctions site and the prices range all over the place from 600-800$ at the low end to 4000$ at the high end. All I'm looking for is a shooter that is safe to shoot. Also how hard is it to mount a scope on a FAL, my 50 year old eyes don't work with iron sites that well anymore.
Any info would be helpful.

Metallicorey

Reaction score
I purchased a L1A1 by century arms for $650. It had that awful thumb hole stock. I changed it out to the original stock and pistol grip. I then installed a piccatiny dust cover from DSA to mount a scope. It is a great weapon but a little heavier than my AR. Google search for info. There is a lot of people that love the FAL platform.

DLuke

World Record Non-Typical
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Corey!!

Ignatz

Reaction score
Well I'm interested that this post is still going. Not long after I posted this I found one, an inch pattern. I installed a new dust cover with a scope mount and found it pointed way off to the left so I returned it and the second one was better. I don't know if it was the dust cover mount or that the gun was older it never really shot that well. The best I ever got was about 4 inch groups with the ammo it liked. The other problem was the magazines, the were hit or miss a few worked just fine other never worked and some work with only 5 rounds and other had to be full to work. After shooting quite a bit it sat in my safe then after Newtown I was going to have to register it I chose to sell it and got all my money out of it. Now I have moved on to other crazy ideas.

Metallicorey

Reaction score
Mine shoots well. I also replaced dust cover with a DSA built one. Although it is not a precision rifle it is big game worthy. All my magazines are also DSA, they are very reliable. 20 rounders and 5 rounders for hunting. FAL is known as the right arm of the free world. I like mine but love my AR's.

Ignatz

Reaction score
It was fun to play with but if I ever got another one it would be a metric one as there are alot more part for them. I was never able to find any new mags in inch pattern but metric pattern mags were easy to find.