Facebook removes harvest photos

RememberBaker

Reaction score
What makes this whole discussion frustrating is when people use politically correct terms only when they feel they need to. Everyone on here has done it, yet when it comes right down to it who really cares?? I will preface these comments with a truly sincere "I'm not trying to be hurtful or disrespectful" But......For instance when our beloved pet dies we all use the term "Passed Away", or "had to put him down" "put to sleep" Same with friends and loved ones. "passed away", "Went to a better place", "no longer with us" etc......
Yet what really happened is "they died". Why do we have such an easy time covering up the more insensitive terms in these cases yet are so willing to throw the "I killed it" term around when the life of an animal is taken??? Respect is just that RESPECT and when something dies it should be treated with the same respect as any thing else. Just my opinion, and now I'll wait for all the incoming artillery!
The difference is personal attachment. No farmer would say, "I just had my beef cow put to sleep". No soldier would likely say that an enemy combatant "passed away" either. The difference in your examples is you are speaking of the death of someone or something that somebody is attached to.

oneshott

Banned
Reaction score
For the record, I don't give a darn about being politically correct in this situation. To me, harvest just means your going to eat it or use it in some productive way. It just encompasses the fact that your eating it. If all your doing is killing the animal, then that is a waste, with some exceptions such as predator hunting.

Last edited:

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Should we look to the Inuit for advice on what term is best? They use the term "catch" in place of kill. Inuit say the term kill is disrespectful to the animal.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
Should we look to the Inuit for advice on what term is best? They use the term "catch" in place of kill. Inuit say the term kill is disrespectful to the animal.
Why would I? I'm not an Inuit, I tend to follow the traditions of my own culture.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
This is one of those conversations where no one will concede a point because its based in emotion, not logic.

I never say I "killed" anything. I feel uncomfortable with it. I "butcher" farm animals, or I might say I "got" a deer. "Harvest" sounds like I'm covering up what I did, and "caught" seems like its often interpreted literally.

My point is that there's no right or wrong way. You can't force someone to live by your morals and standards. If you've put thought into what terms you use, than you've taken a great step one. What you decide to use is up to you, even if I disagree with it. Expressing your own opinion or voicing a concern on here seems to be rec'd fine, but the moment a post is interpreted as trying to convince someone of seeing it the other way, the defense mechanisms go up. Relax guys, its they're just words.

Latest posts