Entry level Muzzleloader

Lavman

Reaction score
I always swab the barrel dry, and snap a couple of caps to make sure all is clear before loading, with my Hawken. Not sure if you do the same with an inline.
Very good advice, thanks for that. I am going to make a point to snap a cap or two before I load it for the season next year. It's hard enough to get a deer in the crosshairs for your young hunter, to achieve that then have a rifle malfunction is a little painful but I will say the boy took it in stride, a good experience to have I guess since we learn from all of them.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Very good advice, thanks for that. I am going to make a point to snap a cap or two before I load it for the season next year. It's hard enough to get a deer in the crosshairs for your young hunter, to achieve that then have a rifle malfunction is a little painful but I will say the boy took it in stride, a good experience to have I guess since we learn from all of them.
When you snap them put the muzzle up against some loose grass, dirt, etc. and make sure it gets blown away when you snap the cap. This indicates that there is a clear passage between cap, powder and end of muzzle.

Lavman

Reaction score
Thank you Longbow, I will do that for sure. Happy New Year and good luck, I noted you are still at 'em :elmer:

nhangler

Reaction score
TC Impact recommended and shoots BH 209 very well without and mods or different breach plugs. If for a young hunter, you can also adjust this stock to fit a smaller framed person. ...and most importantly it is VERY accurate. Good luck!

JDK

Reaction score
Pretty much decided to go with the CVA Optima. Now just looking for a deal.

Thanks everyone.

Remi

Reaction score
Pretty much decided to go with the CVA Optima. Now just looking for a deal.

Thanks everyone.
Good choice, wouldn't overlook the CVA Wolf either for an entry level muzzy - I hear it's no slouch. I think a lot of people overlook how good the CVA muzzy's are nowadays. I still have my T/C Omega and a got a CVA Acura a couple years back because I just didn't like how the Omega feels carrying it around. I bought that CVA sight-unseen and was very impressed from the second I got it and haven't hunted with the Omega since; both are great shooters but I always grab the CVA over the T/C just based on how it handles and it's much, much easier to clean - it's just my opinion and preference having both. As mentioned, I'll get some Crushed Rib sabots out to you...

JDK

Reaction score
I hate these decisions, especially when I have no where to go look at them. I also guess that "entry level" really should have read "plain jane." Almost seems like it is 6 of one and half dozen of the other. Reviews on both are very good.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
I've no experience with the CVA Optima, my brother has a Wolf and I don't care for it, especially because it's got a blued steel barrel. I've got a T/C Triumph and it feels heavy and awkward to me but I hunted with it all this season and it kills deer just fine. I've got a Traditions Buckstalker, it works and shoots fine but it feels muzzle heavy when I carry it. I've got 3 Traditions Pursuit XLT's and they are the nicest handling/carrying muzzleloaders I own and will shoot 2" hundred yard groups all day. They'd probably do better than that if I cared enough to try.

Escout711

Reaction score
Good choice, wouldn't overlook the CVA Wolf either for an entry level muzzy - I hear it's no slouch. I think a lot of people overlook how good the CVA muzzy's are nowadays. I still have my T/C Omega and a got a CVA Acura a couple years back because I just didn't like how the Omega feels carrying it around. I bought that CVA sight-unseen and was very impressed from the second I got it and haven't hunted with the Omega since; both are great shooters but I always grab the CVA over the T/C just based on how it handles and it's much, much easier to clean - it's just my opinion and preference having both. As mentioned, I'll get some Crushed Rib sabots out to you...
I hate these decisions, especially when I have no where to go look at them. I also guess that "entry level" really should have read "plain jane." Almost seems like it is 6 of one and half dozen of the other. Reviews on both are very good.

I think that in the end, this isn't a decision that you will regret either way. I wanted to move away from the Thompson line because I was tired of having to stand on my ramrod to load my Omega, and wanted to try something different. As for the Optima V2 vs the Wolf, you really can't go wrong either way. I got the Optima V2 because of 2 things, first was the price. Deep clearance at Wal-Mart, $150 and it came with a nice 1 piece mount and rings. Second, the release to break open is positioned in a better spot than the Wolf. You can see where it is in the photo below, the back of the triggerguard. The release on the Wolf is on the front of the trigger guard, and some people have complained that it will catch and accidentally open when carrying it. But, that's a minor thing, it would probably rarely happen, and the Wolf has a great reputation as a shooter as well as being a handy little carbine sized muzzleloader. I believe the barrel length and the position of the release are the only differences between the 2. A friend of mine has the Wolf, and he is happy with it. You'd have to step up to the Accura to get any real difference, and even that is just the Bergara barrel.

Look where the release is on the Wolf...

Wolf-Large.jpg

Last edited:

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I have the Impact and my son has the Wolf. I like the hammer and the tool-less breech on the Wolf better than the Impact setup, and they both shoot great groups with several combinations of loads through them. I got the Impact on sale for $180, which is why I chose that over the Wolf. They're all great now though.

arlow

Reaction score
When you snap them put the muzzle up against some loose grass, dirt, etc. and make sure it gets blown away when you snap the cap. This indicates that there is a clear passage between cap, powder and end of muzzle.
I always put a little bit of paper towel in the end of the barrel. If it shoots out you are good to go.

JDK

Reaction score
The CVA came today. Have to admit it is pretty nice and comparable to my TC Omega. I think he will be pleased.

Lavman

Reaction score
CVA Wolf? Did you go stainless or all black?

JDK

Reaction score
CVA Wolf? Did you go stainless or all black?
CVA Optima V2. Stainless barrel with black synthetic stock.

Found them on sale for $220 and free shipping.

JDK

Reaction score
I took it out of the box last night to, you know.....check it out. Shouldn't have. That ML fits me like a glove and points like a finger. I put it back and away.

Escout711

Reaction score
I took it out of the box last night to, you know.....check it out. Shouldn't have. That ML fits me like a glove and points like a finger. I put it back and away.
Well... You hand down that Omega, and your son gets "Dad's gun" and you get the one that loads easier and points better...