Entry level Muzzleloader

JDK

Reaction score
My oldest son expressed an interest in getting back into hunting and said he wants to try muzzleloading. We thought for his birthday, we'd try to help him get started. I poked around on line a little last night and there certainly is a wealth of rifles out there. We wold try to keep it in the $250ish range and are looking at CVA or TC. Any models or other manufactures we should be looking at?

He lives in Maine but said that his buddies in MA have been asking him to go also. I haven't looked but I thought I read here that there is an action type restriction in the People's Republic.

Escout711

Reaction score
At that price point you can't go wrong with a CVA Optima V2. I am sitting on a log with one right now as a matter of fact! Badfisherman has one as well. I had an Omega, but got tired of the ultra tight bore.

Fixed blade

Reaction score
My brother bought the low end tc and it works great for him. Can't remeber the model but split barrel for easy loading and cock hammer. Was like $260.00 2 years ago.

Fixed blade

Reaction score
Should also check out traditions website. My father has found close outs for $100.00 on there. He has been very happy with his traditions buck stalker. I think he got it on close out for under $200.00 but not sure.

Meatseeker

Reaction score
I bought my son a TC impact a few years ago and it has been fantastic. Very simple to breakdown and clean and extraordinarily accurate. He is only 14 and he can regularly shoot sub 1.5" groups at 100 yards with it. Surprisingly it has a great trigger for an inexpensive gun.

We have had tremendous results with 90 gr Blackhorn 209, and Hornady FTX 265 gr 44 cal bullets with the green crushed ribbed sabot cups (50 cal for 44 cal bullet). Best part is you can clean Blackhorn with good old fashion Hoppes #9 when you are done.

You can get the Weathershield version shipped to your door for around $250.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/77743/TCA+TC+Impact+Break-Action+50cal+26"+WeathershieldBlack

I've been very impressed with this gun. Good luck in your search.

Fixed blade

Reaction score
I bought my son a TC impact a few years ago and it has been fantastic. Very simple to breakdown and clean and extraordinarily accurate. He is only 14 and he can regularly shoot sub 1.5" groups at 100 yards with it. Surprisingly it has a great trigger for an inexpensive gun.

We have had tremendous results with 90 gr Blackhorn 209, and Hornady FTX 265 gr 44 cal bullets with the green crushed ribbed sabot cups (50 cal for 44 cal bullet). Best part is you can clean Blackhorn with good old fashion Hoppes #9 when you are done.

You can get the Weathershield version shipped to your door for around $250.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/77743/TCA+TC+Impact+Break-Action+50cal+26"+WeathershieldBlack

I've been very impressed with this gun. Good luck in your search.
That's the gun my brother bought 2 years ago the impact.

JDK

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. The Optima and the Impact were two that I was looking at.

Thanks Pine Lock.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Been using a Thompson Renegade since I started back in 1982 and also use a Thompson Hawken that I got about 10 years ago. Great rifles if you have an interest in those styles. Have them equipped with peep sights. Probably pick one up for less than 300.

Escout711

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. The Optima and the Impact were two that I was looking at.

Thanks Pine Lock.
BTW, I got my Optima on a Walmart clearance for $150. Camo thumbhole stock, "stainless" fluted barrel, and one piece scope mount. I would keep an eye out for a clearance deal, no matter what direction you go.

Flatlander

Reaction score
Take a look at Traditions xlt line. If you come down to Ct. you can go to their showroom in Old Saybrook and find some really good deals.

JDK

Reaction score
I didn't know Traditions was in Old Saybrook. I'll check them out the next time I'm down there.

JDK

Reaction score
Been using a Thompson Renegade since I started back in 1982 and also use a Thompson Hawken that I got about 10 years ago. Great rifles if you have an interest in those styles. Have them equipped with peep sights. Probably pick one up for less than 300.
Longbow, I missed your suggestion. Back when I started deer hunting, just about all that was legal to use were muzzleloaders. My father picked up two TC Hawkins and a Renegade. Through the luck of the draw, I was given the Renegade. While there is nothing wrong with it, that rifle never fit me well, and still doesn't. I also couldn't get used to the blade sight. The Hawkin was a far better rifle for me and when Dad was working and I had to ride my bike to hunt, I took his Hawkin. Killed a few deer with it.

Nat is more than welcome to have my Renegade but he says it doesn't fit him well either.

Last edited:

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
View attachment 17643
Longbow, I missed your suggestion. Back when I started deer hunting, just about all that was legal to use were muzzleloaders. My father picked up two TC Hawkins and a Renegade. Through the luck of the draw, I was given the Renegade. While there is nothing wrong with it, that rifle never fit me well, and still doesn't. I also couldn't get used to the blade sight. The Hawkin was a far better rifle for me and when Dad was working and I had to ride my bike to hunt, I took his Hawkin. Killed a few deer with it.

Nat is more than welcome to have my Renegade but he says it doesn't fit him well either.
i have peep sights on mine. Pic taken live , in my tree now.

Last edited:

Lavman

Reaction score
I have a CVA Wolf and for the money it is a great ML. It is very easy to load, re-load, unload if not shot, clean, etc. It is very light and handles very well. I put a Nikon stainless scope with BDC reticle on it and love it

Escout711

Reaction score
I have a CVA Wolf and for the money it is a great ML. It is very easy to load, re-load, unload if not shot, clean, etc. It is very light and handles very well. I put a Nikon stainless scope with BDC reticle on it and love it
I like how that is basically a little carbine. Looks like it handles nicely!

Lavman

Reaction score
This is my 12 year old son, this was his first hunting season as a licensed hunter so I had to take my old Scout ML out of retirement and put the Wolf in the boys hands, he toted this and loved it (except for when he pulled the trigger on a doe and the Wolf didn't bark, it just kind of yipped when the cap snapped and the wet powder went pffffttttt but that wasn't his fault or the ML's, that was Dad being anal and cleaning the Wolf after he sighted it in....must have had a little oil left behind in the breach OR the bore butter I put on the threads of the breech plug got warm and turned to liquid...who knows, Dad messed it up though....live and learn!)

picture upload sites

vito

Reaction score
Have had a TC Omega for years now and love it. Just took another deer with it last week.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
This is my 12 year old son, this was his first hunting season as a licensed hunter so I had to take my old Scout ML out of retirement and put the Wolf in the boys hands, he toted this and loved it (except for when he pulled the trigger on a doe and the Wolf didn't bark, it just kind of yipped when the cap snapped and the wet powder went pffffttttt but that wasn't his fault or the ML's, that was Dad being anal and cleaning the Wolf after he sighted it in....must have had a little oil left behind in the breach OR the bore butter I put on the threads of the breech plug got warm and turned to liquid...who knows, Dad messed it up though....live and learn!)
I always swab the barrel dry, and snap a couple of caps to make sure all is clear before loading, with my Hawken. Not sure if you do the same with an inline.