Ended the season with a bang!

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
It has been a long season and Saturday was my last day to hunt. I have had pics of a great buck who kept hanging around and I've been hunting hard for him with a few of the guys I typically hunt with. We have had his tracks cross back over ours numerous times this season and it was getting pretty frustrating.
Trail cam pics
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

You can see how much weight he lost towards the end of the season.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
On Saturday a few of us set out to try and connect with him one last time. We weren't in the woods 15 minutes when one of my buddies shot right out in front of me. He shot at the buck and it went right down. After he reloaded he was walking up to it and it ran off. He caught up to it bedded and was trying to get an open shot to it's vitals and it took off again. It eneded up going by one of the other guys who shot and missed, then it went by another guy who was able to anchor it. It's a great feeling when one of us finally connects with a target buck. The buck is an 8pt with 6" bases and LONG brow tines and was 21.5" wide inside spread.
4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Mass.? That's a real nice mature buck with some nice thick antlers and great spread! Did you weigh it? I would think the first guy that shot it got the deer? Where did he hit it? Were you making a drive or just walking into your stands?

NH Hunter

Reaction score
That's an awesome buck and a better story. I love the team mentality while deer hunting. To me that makes the hunt.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Great buck congratulations! Way to stick it out right until the end!

802-603hunter

Reaction score
That’s the type of buck anybody would be elated to tag. Heavy bases, wide, sporty brow tines. Awesome experience for your whole crew. Congrats all the way around!

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
That is a real beauty! Congrats! It's always a real joy to share a successful hunt with friends and family.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
Mass.? That's a real nice mature buck with some nice thick antlers and great spread! Did you weigh it? I would think the first guy that shot it got the deer? Where did he hit it? Were you making a drive or just walking into your stands?
Yes in Mass. He weighed 164.6# I would love to see what he weighed at the beginning of Nov. The first guy who shot it indeed got the deer. When we hunt together, whoever draws first blood gets the deer. We don't do deer drives. More stillhunting from opposite directions if that makes sense. We tried doing deer drives in the past but guys just don't listen and stay put where you tell them to LOLOLOL