EHD is here.

41mag

Reaction score
Talked to one of my neighbors the other day.
He went to Central Jersey to bowhunt, had good camera activity in late August/early Sept.
Went down for a week and deer activity was sparse. Found 10 dead on an 88 acre plot they were hunting, all from EHD.
Not looking forward to that kind of thing, here, or anywhere.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
A good friend of mine has found 2 dead bucks in ponds where I'm at.
A friend of his said 30+ have been found dead about 15 miles north of here.

mowbizz

Reaction score
No frosts yet even in the far north. Crazy warm, still. Weather girl said “possibly in the next week” but I don’t see it right now.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Yesterday Duke and I played hooky for a couple hours in the morning and finally got out to try some trolling. We didn't catch anything, but at about 530am, I realized the life jackets had been out in the boat all night and it had rained. So I went out to grab them, so I could get them dried inside before we left - when I grabbed them, they all had a skim of ice on them. It wasn't frost, it was an actual skim of ice, but not frost on the grass. We just need that clear night of 25 degrees to kill some stuff. The ticks are out of control right now too.

VTsnowjet

Reaction score
I am hunting a western state that had 40% die off due to EHD. Dead deer in the hundreds near any type of water. Partner and Istill able to tag these 2 small buck on public land. Biologist said mine on left was 7.5 years.

Attachments

VTsnowjet

Reaction score
Thanks, it is really sad. Fortunately it hit vt towards end of fall when frost hits. It is a tragic situation. Heading back home to vt tomorrow, hopefully rut picks up and deer move.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks, it is really sad. Fortunately it hit vt towards end of fall when frost hits. It is a tragic situation. Heading back home to vt tomorrow, hopefully rut picks up and deer move.
We had a lot of it here in NJ. Some guys lost almost all the deer on their property. Good luck in VT. Hopefully it cools down some. I'm heading to Maine Saturday for a week.

Xbolt

Reaction score
Mother nature at her finest, not common in the east but it has, been present in certain areas
For a while this will defineately take, a toll on the herds

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
My neighbor found a dead deer on the bank of the river that goes through my property. I called the warden to see if he wanted to have a look and he said (paraphrasing) "don't even bother - I've already had 2 calls from other people that saw dead deer floating down the same river in your area"

NH Hunter

Reaction score
My neighbor found a dead deer on the bank of the river that goes through my property. I called the warden to see if he wanted to have a look and he said (paraphrasing) "don't even bother - I've already had 2 calls from other people that saw dead deer floating down the same river in your area"
Oh boy...... that's not good.

Mikejd

Reaction score
Terrible. NJ got hammered this year with it.
States need to recognize it and adjust seasons or bag limits accordingly. I hunted a spot this week that supposedly was hit pretty hard and I still see guys shooting small does. I guess some guys may not even know about it.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Yeah, we all have doe permits that were issued before the deer started showing up dead. I told my kids they can shoot whatever gets them excited, but the adults won't be filling their doe tags.

Latest posts