Early season rants...

nhangler

Reaction score
Ok, I know better but need to vent a little. Shared resources I know and most of the offenders are not doing it intentionally I hope but still....

Opening day, I could hear some kids out for a hike... likely smoking weed, off the trail and screaming pretty loud. Screaming at the top of their lungs for no reason and a Bluetooth speaker with music could be heard. They paused within 600-800 feet of my stand and stayed there for over 1/2 hour and then slowly left just as legal shooting light came.

My next evening hunt was about the same when a woman on a horse came through with country music cranked. Only this was not a trail and in pretty thick which also meant she was super noisy and the horse kept stopping as it seemed confused by where to go with so many branches and brush. She stops 50 yards from the tree I was in and the horse lays down a 30+ pound steaming dukie. She saw me for sure and then circled around the area I was in pretty much destroying any chances of me seeing any deer.

After thinking about it, the horse deal might have been an anti?

Is this a sign of what impacts covid have for our woods this fall? No activities so let’s all go in the woods?

One side not to all of this is that this is my parcel of land and have been considering posting it for years. It might happen and I will likely kick everyone off of it for all activities.

mowbizz

Reaction score
A worthy rant...I would be pissed if this was happening on my own land and would consider posting it all.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
If you don't want to go the keep everyone off route, maybe some of these? Nobody is coming onto my property or living room without permission. Put your cell number on the sign if you want. private-property-sign-nhe-18551_1000_3.gif

NH Hunter

Reaction score
That sucks for sure. I guess the bright side is kids are actually out in the woods instead of sitting in front of video games, even if they are smoking dope. I get how it can be frustrating for sure. The other side of the coin is, if you post it, will that be the only place you personally will hunt? Or will you utilize land that other landowners leave open and don't post? Another consideration that always strikes me odd....... When some lunatic shoots up a school, street, club or whatever and the media uses it as a take all guns away story, we as gun owners and hunters get pissed for being lumped in with a couple jack holes. I still am naive in the thought we as hunters need each other regardless of maybe a bunged up sit here and there. There's only 52k off us in the entire state of NH. Weakening those numbers by removing access isn't a good thing. I know.......easy for me to say. I'm not paying the taxes on the lot and having my "me time" F-ed up. I completely understand your frustration. I know I'd be annoyed as well. Just kind of throwing a few other thoughts out there.

I honestly believe there's a large majority of hunters that are great , friendly people. I ran into a new , young hunter a couple weeks ago while moose scouting. He is bear baiting on the same piece of state land. We chatted for about a half hour in the log landing as he was headed out to bait his site. After talking a while we exchanged numbers and he was honestly excited we had a moose tag , even offering to pull his bear bait as to not "mess the area up". I told him absolutely not to do that. We are all sharing the woods and the same passion, but I appreciated him thinking of us.

As I thought about it that night, it's kind of crazy that in him trying to be a nice guy he was actually willing to completely abandon his hunting plans because somewhere along the line he's been taught that's the "right thing to do" instead of just work together. Anyway, I hope your hunts get better. The bright side is colder weather is coming and less people will be outside I'm sure. At least there's still 89 days left to go also. Good luck the rest of the year.

nhangler

Reaction score
I think it is just early and likely my bad luck.

That said. I saw a record amount of new wannabe fisherman out in the water this year. I suspect there may be a lot of new hunters too so brace yourselves. ..and these are the Facebook group kind that start their intro with, I’m new, where should I go to hunt, where can I park, and the guy that just started last year is openly (and stupidly) giving away some spots.

On with something good, I saw a nice buck the other day while checking my camera. Before I got to my camera, I saw him cutting through. Went nowhere near the camera and got no shots of him but I did not spook him and he gracefully walked off. A shooter for sure.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I think it is just early and likely my bad luck.

That said. I saw a record amount of new wannabe fisherman out in the water this year. I suspect there may be a lot of new hunters too so brace yourselves. ..and these are the Facebook group kind that start their intro with, I’m new, where should I go to hunt, where can I park, and the guy that just started last year is openly (and stupidly) giving away some spots.

On with something good, I saw a nice buck the other day while checking my camera. Before I got to my camera, I saw him cutting through. Went nowhere near the camera and got no shots of him but I did not spook him and he gracefully walked off. A shooter for sure.
According to the Concord monitor article I read, and a fella that was on the radio a couple weeks ago, Fishing licenses were up 40% while hunting licenses were up 16%. Good luck with that buck.

Latest posts