early fall food plots?

BigCountry

Reaction score
In the midst of the Pandemic, my wife and I decided to move back to the Champlain Valley where she grew up. We bought a house on 25 acres about half of which is low (wet) woods, about a dozen apple trees, and unmowed fields. It abuts a lot of farms and there is connected woods across properties over many hundreds of acres.

Anything I can plant in September to bring them in (brassicas, wheat)? Shake the apple trees?

When to get it going in Spring?

Also, we'll be a lot closer to the cabin in the Chateauguay, so looking to get some food in there too.

Any tips from the forum for archery hunting Champaign Valley?

NH Mountains

Reaction score
I usually plant brassicas in July. I think September would be way too late for brassicas for this year. Winter rye would be fine to plant in September. That’ll be one of the only green food available then. It’ll attract deer if there isn’t a better food source available.

If you’re also looking ahead into next year I’d plant some perennial white clover with the winter rye. It’ll grow this fall and then take off next spring. It won’t do much for feed this fall but, will be available all next year. Just mow the winter rye in mid to late June next year.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Did you buy a house on 25 acres of land or do you have to build one ? Sounds like you bought a nice piece of land.

Are you talking about the Chateauguay in Bridgewater VT is where your cabin is ? I hunted up there many many times from the Killington side. off of Rte 4 near River Rd. I would take a small trail up the steep mountain face. But once you were up there it was Gods Country. What a beautiful place .

Reaction score
Did you buy a house on 25 acres of land or do you have to build one ? Sounds like you bought a nice piece of land.

Are you talking about the Chateauguay in Bridgewater VT is where your cabin is ? I hunted up there many many times from the Killington side. off of Rte 4 near River Rd. I would take a small trail up the steep mountain face. But once you were up there it was Gods Country. What a beautiful place .
There has been an effort underway for a few years now to protect that entire basin from development. From the Bridgewater Chateauguay area to Barnard Chateauguay to the Les Newell Game Lands in Stockbridge and the Killington area you speak of.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
Now is the time to plant fall food plots...something like winter greens, 7 card stud, or green patch plus or deer radishes. You can top dress it with winter wheat in mid and late september.

BigCountry

Reaction score
Thanks all, doesn't look like we'll get in there until mid-September, so maybe this year will be a "control" year with apples only.

But maybe I'll get some wheat in!

Latest posts