Dunstan chestnuts?

NH Mountains

Reaction score
I left the briars around these to hopefully keep the moose from browsing them. They're 4.5' now

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Here's an older non tubed Dunstan. I'm thinking this might produce blossoms and burs next spring. If my other one does I will try hand pollinating them to get them pollinated. If this one had been tubed it would have grown taller than the current form.

Last edited:

shirefisher

Reaction score
100_3035.JPG 100_3036.jpg

After 5 years I do have 2 trees out of 10 that are holding nuts. There are 6 decent trees with 4 doing really well. I have 2 that die and shoot up a baby every year and 2 that are surviving just barely. I'm excited to get a taste of a Vermont chestnut this Christmas.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
That tree I gave to a friend who had an older chestnut that was not getting pollinated. The tree I gave him had 3-4 burs in 2016 and no burs last year. The energy last year went into growth and it has really taken off. The good news is I think burs on both trees have been pollinated so there'll be a lot of nuts. 2-3 per bur. The bad news is his older tree looks like it has the chestnut blight and most likely will be dead by this time next year. Then he won't have a pollinator again.

Yes I've had chestnuts. They're actually a lot of work to prepare of you do 5-10 pounds it'll take several hours. You have to cut "X" in the end of the nut. Then roast them in a baking pan in the oven at 425 until the ends pull back. Then put them in a bowl and cover with a towel for a while and then peel the shells off. When you do the brown paper line material should peel off too. If it doesn't then it's a pain. Eventually you'll get them peeled and ready to eat or freeze. They're great in stuffing and risotto.

The trees on my land have finally taken off and should produce next year. Sunlight is the key. If you want your trees to flourish then cut down competition.

shirefisher

Reaction score
100_3123.JPG

So I picked a few of my chestnuts to try and taste them. I haven't had a chance to dig into this mystery but the 4 burrs I picked all had nuts that had sprouted. That can't be good. Or is it? Maybe I should pick them all and pot them under lights....

Browseline

Reaction score
NH Mountains: Here is a picture of one of the 4 trees you gave me a few years back. They are all about the same size and seem very healthy, just under 4 ft. high. Stems are about .75 inches in diam. I just put some aluminum screen around the stems and the cages stay on year round as the deer eat all that sticks out of the cage. Thanks again.

Attachments

NH Mountains

Reaction score
View attachment 21066

So I picked a few of my chestnuts to try and taste them. I haven't had a chance to dig into this mystery but the 4 burrs I picked all had nuts that had sprouted. That can't be good. Or is it? Maybe I should pick them all and pot them under lights....
Shire,

Those don't look quite right. Did you peel any brown shell off from them? Normally when they're ripe the nuts will be brown and a lot will fall to the ground as the burs open. Then the nuts shells are brown. When you roast them the outer shell willspread open and the nut will be exposed. You still will have a paper shell to remove. It's a lot of work getting them ready to eat.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
NH Mountains: Here is a picture of one of the 4 trees you gave me a few years back. They are all about the same size and seem very healthy, just under 4 ft. high. Stems are about .75 inches in diam. I just put some aluminum screen around the stems and the cages stay on year round as the deer eat all that sticks out of the cage. Thanks again.
Nice Browse. I bet they'll make a big pop in growth next year. The tree that had all those burs on it this year was about your size last year. Unfortunately, it went unpollinated because he didn't plant it near his large American chestnut. Now that American chestnut has the blight and probably will be dead next year. Once your trees start producing they'll have bushels of nuts.

shedder

Reaction score
Shire,

Those don't look quite right. Did you peel any brown shell off from them? Normally when they're ripe the nuts will be brown and a lot will fall to the ground as the burs open. Then the nuts shells are brown. When you roast them the outer shell will spread open and the nut will be exposed. You still will have a paper shell to remove. It's a lot of work getting them ready to eat.
i used to eat Am Chestnuts while planting them shell and all or spit the shell out. No worse than sunflower seed.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Here’s the first harvest of chestnuts on trees I grew from seed planted in 2013. They would’ve opened on their own today or tomorrow and the nuts would’ve popped out but, the squirrels would’ve grabbed them so I grabbed them first. There’s usually 3 nuts per bur if they get pollinated. The smaller bur on the left probably is unpollinated. The burs have needles on them that make it hard to handle without leather gloves.

2BA53526-C083-4A6D-9268-C64B699F90EA.jpeg

shirefisher

Reaction score
Awesome NH Mountains! Did you taste any of them? My Chestnuts did nothing for nuts this year. But it was dry on our property. I'm hoping for next year.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Awesome NH Mountains! Did you taste any of them? My Chestnuts did nothing for nuts this year. But it was dry on our property. I'm hoping for next year.
Not yet. I’ll let these dry in a paper bag for a few days. Then I’ll plant them on my property in protective tubes. I’m hoping there’s a dozen or so nuts in there. I should get a hundred or more burs next year. The trees are growing fast now.

Latest posts