Dunstan Chestnut trees.

Browseline

Reaction score
I planted 4 Dunstan Chestnut trees sometime around 2011??. NH Mountains brought them up to me when they were 1/4 inch in diam and a foot tall. He grew them from nuts. They are all doing well and this one is the biggest at about 1.5 inches in diameter and 8 ft tall. The red oak I planted about a year earlier I think. It was about 1.5 inches in diameter and 8 ft tall. I carried it over into the field with one hand, after I dug it up in the woods. It was growing on ledge and I knew it wouldn't amount to much. When I moved it, it basically had 3 - 16 inch roots with no root ball. I watered it every day with water from a nearby brook for 4 months and it made it. It is 35 ft tall and 8" in Diameter now. It has had acorns now for 3 years or more. It grew much faster than I expected. Last week a little puke of a bear about tore off one of the limbs to my favorite Honey Crisp apple tree. He was eating the leaves as all the blossoms were up higher. All my garden stuff is up and doing well as the ground warmed up earlier than usual and nothing close to a frost in the last 3 weeks. I'm doing a little work a few days a week on a boathouse but other than that and yard work am taking it easy. I did get to Maine for a couple days and found a few moose antlers. All old ones and not very big. At lot of Covid still around but I've dodged it so far.

Attachments

• P1013175.JPG
    P1013175.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 19
  • P1013177.JPG
    P1013177.JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 19

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Time flies Browse. The Dunstans are looking good. I’d be looking for the catkins on them this year in mid to late June. They sort of look like the old pipe cleaners. If they have those then there’s a chance they’ll develop burs as well and you may see some nuts this year if the wind blows the pollen around there.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Browse, this is what you’re looking for. The catkins will produce the pollen and the burs will grow off them. I have one tree that must have 1000 catkins started. The other tree isn’t showing any yet.

E55A1C0F-9BBC-4CEB-9801-B5C9FF3566F8.jpeg E604D1E9-7EC8-4DDE-995E-F91EF950D313.jpeg

Browseline

Reaction score
Browse, this is what you’re looking for. The catkins will produce the pollen and the burs will grow off them. I have one tree that must have 1000 catkins started. The other tree isn’t showing any yet.

View attachment 26209 View attachment 26210
Thanks, I looked the other day and didn't see any yet. I did have some on one tree last year. I'll write down the date you gave me and put it in the folder with the dates I planted my fruit trees.

Both my neighbors saw a big bear near my driveway last night and this morning. One of my neighbors who saw it is Ben Kilhams sister and she has worked with him and bears for over 20 years. She said it was a very large bear, probably a male as it is breeding season and they are roaming. She knows what a big bear looks like so I believe her on its size. I've been working down back next to my swamp and found myself looking over my shoulder a lot today.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Thought I would post the thread where this all started to compare your progress .
Maybe VTwoodchuck will come back in and report his progress as well . He has not been back since last November. Hope he is doing ok .

Browseline

Reaction score
Thought I would post the thread where this all started to compare your progress .
Maybe VTwoodchuck will come back in and report his progress as well . He has not been back since last November. Hope he is doing ok .

I'm pretty sure I know him on Facebook. I'll send him a message.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Browse, have you checked your trees for those catkins? They should be turning color and spreading pollen in the next week or so.

Browseline

Reaction score
Browse, have you checked your trees for those catkins? They should be turning color and spreading pollen in the next week or so.
I looked on June 8 and just now. Nothing, just lots of leaves. The trees all look very healthy so good news there.

Latest posts