Dressing out a deer for the scale

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Yes sorry 9 point. Merrimack county. Not a lot of fat. None of the guys I know that have locally shot deer are reporting hardly any fat on their deer.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Yes sorry 9 point. Merrimack county. Not a lot of fat. None of the guys I know that have locally shot deer are reporting hardly any fat on their deer.
Okay…my observation was he appeared healthy on the outside and not rutted out.
Lack of body fat I’m sure has something to do with the meager mast crop.
Do you feel he was rutted out at all?

NH Hunter

Reaction score
N
Okay…my observation was he appeared healthy on the outside and not rutted out.
Lack of body fat I’m sure has something to do with the meager mast crop.
Do you feel he was rutted out at all?
Not at all. This is what the does I saw last night we’re feeding on…..

mowbizz

Reaction score
Wood chips. True story. They were also feeding in checker berry leaves.
Hmmm never heard of checkerberry.
I have some red berries on my property but always called them winterberry…people like to cut them for Christmas decoration

tobydog

Reaction score
Hmmm never heard of checkerberry.
I have some red berries on my property but always called them winterberry…people like to cut them for Christmas decoration
We have some too. My wife used them last year for xmas. Had to chuckle when I saw a farm selling them for some amount I cant remember but way too much.

frontierrots

Reaction score
I watched the latest Mountain Deer video about proper care of a deer after the kill. I couldn’t help but notice the gut job or lack there of. I was always curious how they always seem to shoot deer that weigh up very very well. Is this typical? Not trying to downgrade them or anyone who might take this approach but I was raised to clean the deer out completely. This includes anus, genitals, inner fat, and all the mess around it. To be 100% honest, I thought their would be an issue if you were trying to get a patch without a fully dressed off deer. I might start taking this approach on future deer that are close. Certainly would be the difference between a low 190’s or 200+
Take it all out front to back, it’s better for the carcass
Don’t ruin your cape though

I understand some do it his way but it’s absolutely incorrect if you are in a pool or going for patch. He’s leaving genitals and bladder- for patch or pool weight these should be removed. Abdominal fat can stay

If you’re in neither then do whatever makes you happy

Last edited:

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
It's a "club" that has entry rules. "Weighed without heart, lungs or liver", is all that is in the rules. If you were taught to gut a deer differently, or have opinions on how it should be done that is fine, but that has nothing to do with the "club" rules. IMHO.

Reaction score
I was thinking same thing, but only because of how i was taught to dress a deer. So im not knocking anyone and how they do it. I know that the benoits do same thing. They keep as much on and in the animal as possible.

So my 196, 195, 193, and 190 might have all had different stories at the weigh station?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I was thinking same thing, but only because of how i was taught to dress a deer. So im not knocking anyone and how they do it. I know that the benoits do same thing. They keep as much on and in the animal as possible.

So my 196, 195, 193, and 190 might have all had different stories at the weigh station?
Depends what you cut off/out. Balls maybe 1,5 pounds, not cleaning between the legs maybe 8oz depending on how much crap is in there. If you trimming all the fat out if there was any in there could be another 2 pounds. Maybe 4 pounds. All those bucks you listed were 200 lbers anyway unless you shot them on the first week. Of course the don't count for the "club" unfortunately.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Yeah was just curious. Its just a # to me anyways. They are all trophies to me
I agree, but 199 is 199 and 200+ is 200+. Trying to tag one and claiming a patch or a deer pool win or placement is flat out screwing the system. It's being dishonest no matter how we debate it. Clean it out, guts, touchhole , sack , heart and lungs then weigh it. Seems pretty simple, unless of course it's not about honesty.

A good friend of mine has said for years " You want to find out a fellas integrity, watch how he acts during the deer season."

frontierrots

Reaction score
This needs to go to the 200 club and they should put it into the rules, until then people will continue to follow the current rules.
It says clean dressed

What part of clean dressed means leave urine bladder balls and penis and rectum on ?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
It says clean dressed

What part of clean dressed means leave urine bladder balls and penis and rectum on ?
RULES
1. Open to anyone, resident and non-resident, holding a Maine hunting license.
2. Limited to deer of the Whitetail species and taken only in Maine in accordance with game laws.
3. No buck known to have been shot by anyone other than applicant him/herself will qualify.
4. Weight of buck, antler measurements, number of points, as requested above, must be certified.
5. Weight may be certified by tagging station employees, game wardens, game biologists or game processors. Please also include names of up to two witnesses, if available. If applying for a Maine state record, scales must be officially calibrated.
6. The minimum dressed weight must be 200 pounds without heart, lungs, or liver. (This would mean live weight of slightly more than 250 pounds, on the average.)
7. Applications must be received by the January 1st of the year following kill date to be included in the Biggest Bucks issue in February. 8. A shoulder patch and packet will be awarded to qualifying members.

Where does it say clean dressed? Even if it did that is vague and could mean different things to different people. They went as far as to say “without heart lungs and liver”, why not add stomach, intestines, testicles, bladder and colon if that is what is required. Obviously, a lot of the “pros”are not removing some of those things, as evidenced by YouTube videos.
Linik to rules:
https://www.mainesportsman.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/PatchClubApp_Deer.pdf

Last edited:

Latest posts