Dragging Pictures...Let's See Some

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks, that was my girlfriend's first deer ever...going to be tough to top that one. That deer was killed in Maine, I also hunt NH too though.
TGS. Welcome to the site! Hopefully you will stick around and share some of your hunts etc., Also, if you get time post and introduction thread in the Welcome forum.

TGS

Reaction score
I'd like to hear this story also.
She had seen this buck 3 days prior but could not get a shot. On this particular morning she could see the tines coming from the other side of the knoll. The buck crested the knoll and looked right at her (or so it seemed). After his long stare, he put his down and continued towards her stand at a frontal quartering shot. When the buck got to about 30 yds, she put the cross-hairs on the top his front shoulder and fired. The buck bolted, leaped over a stonewall and was gone. She got down and looked for blood but to avail. She called me at work, said she shot but couldn't find any blood. It took me about an hour to get to where she was. we walked back in, she got in her tree stand and proceeded to direct me to where the deer was when she fired. I felt confident that I would find blood or hair if she hit him. I scoured that place and could not find anything. All the time she was convinced she hit him... I decided to walk a game trail that led out of the piece, as I slowly hunted the trail, I looked ahead to see him laying down looking away from me with his head up. I snapped my rifle to my shoulder, he never moved...not a flinch. I thought that's a little odd... with the cross hairs on the back of his neck, I said "Hey Honey", waiting for him to move....nothing, nor did my girl friend answer. I said it louder..."HEY HONEY".... (at this point I knew he was dead), my GF answered..."what"... I said "you got him! That deer never bled a drop...He ran about 70 yds before crashing into that small pine, which kept his head up. The shot entered high in the shoulder with a downward quartering trajectory. It clipped the heart going through but never exited the bottom of the chest, 30-06 165gr nosler partition shells. Here's a picture of how he looked as I walked up on him.
terries buck1.jpg

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
She had seen this buck 3 days prior but could not get a shot. On this particular morning she could see the tines coming from the other side of the knoll. The buck crested the knoll and looked right at her (or so it seemed). After his long stare, he put his down and continued towards her stand at a frontal quartering shot. When the buck got to about 30 yds, she put the cross-hairs on the top his front shoulder and fired. The buck bolted, leaped over a stonewall and was gone. She got down and looked for blood but to avail. She called me at work, said she shot but couldn't find any blood. It took me about an hour to get to where she was. we walked back in, she got in her tree stand and proceeded to direct me to where the deer was when she fired. I felt confident that I would find blood or hair if she hit him. I scoured that place and could not find anything. All the time she was convinced she hit him... I decided to walk a game trail that led out of the piece, as I slowly hunted the trail, I looked ahead to see him laying down looking away from me with his head up. I snapped my rifle to my shoulder, he never moved...not a flinch. I thought that's a little odd... with the cross hairs on the back of his neck, I said "Hey Honey", waiting for him to move....nothing, nor did my girl friend answer. I said it louder..."HEY HONEY".... (at this point I knew he was dead), my GF answered..."what"... I said "you got him! That deer never bled a drop...He ran about 70 yds before crashing into that small pine, which kept his head up. The shot entered high in the shoulder with a downward quartering trajectory. It clipped the heart going through but never exited the bottom of the chest, 30-06 165gr nosler partition shells. Here's a picture of how he looked as I walked up on him.
View attachment 24943 Nic
Nice story. Did you know he was in the area?

Gwlambo

Reaction score
View attachment 24943
Great post - hell of a buck.

Reactions: TGS

Latest posts