Dog was attacked...by what though?

tobydog

Reaction score
I thought cats generally went for the neck of their target? I’d lean toward a coyote.
Not sure where it happened but there are still bears up and about in VT so I would guess there also are anywhere South of here. like everyone has said, it would be nice to know the size of the dog and where it happened.
north western ma

Acrossthepond

Reaction score
I like how Tobydog is revealing the evidence piece by piece. It’s a bit like playing Cluedo: Colonel mustard, in the dining room, with the lead pipe?

tobydog

Reaction score
:) sorry about that...busy, have not been at my PC much since I got pics.
Thank you all for the replies. I will share with the owner.

arlow

Reaction score
30 lb dog is pretty small. A bear would have killed it with one bite. A cats claws would have done deeper and more slicing damage I think although they do tend to target the back of the neck to bite and break the spine there for their kills. My best guess would be a coyote, they are known for taking small dogs and cats.

tobydog

Reaction score
I don't think so, not too many neighbors around.
The vet said yesterday that she thought it was a bear based on the marks. I tend to agree with previous posters here suggesting that with the small size of the dog, a bear attack would have resulted in a far worse outcome for the dog. I did find out that the owner heard "screaming like sounds" when she went running into the woods to save her dog. The "woods" here are the real deal, hundreds of acres behind her house with no houses, not a patch of trees surrounded by other houses.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I'd be curious if your local warden has any data on similar incidents in the area. My neighbor/cousin has a full grown yellow lab that got stitched up due to yotes getting on him and just by chance my dad was talking to the warden a day later. He told my dad there had been way more coyote/dog interactions that ended up with a vet visit than he'd ever remembered.

tobydog

Reaction score
I'd be curious if your local warden has any data on similar incidents in the area. My neighbor/cousin has a full grown yellow lab that got stitched up due to yotes getting on him and just by chance my dad was talking to the warden a day later. He told my dad there had been way more coyote/dog interactions that ended up with a vet visit than he'd ever remembered.
good point. i will pass it along.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
If a bear bit that dog that many times, and in so many places, I think there would have been some broken bones or internal injuries. IMHO.

Acrossthepond

Reaction score
If a bear bit that dog that many times, and in so many places, I think there would have been some broken bones or internal injuries. IMHO.
My 15lb terrier was once attacked by two Great Dane dogs (one of which weighed 12 stone) and survived partly because of his long rough coat, the dogs couldn’t easily get hold of him. I fought them off him but he needed 40 stitches on his neck and lives to tell the tale. It never fails to surprise me how tough dogs are.
I don’t know a lot about black bears but if a bear was young and inexperienced would it still easily and quickly kill the dog?

mowbizz

Reaction score
My 15lb terrier was once attacked by two Great Dane dogs (one of which weighed 12 stone) and survived partly because of his long rough coat, the dogs couldn’t easily get hold of him. I fought them off him but he needed 40 stitches on his neck and lives to tell the tale. It never fails to surprise me how tough dogs are.
I don’t know a lot about black bears but if a bear was young and inexperienced would it still easily and quickly kill the dog?
SO many variables to this incident...no telling what the circumstances were based on the lack of visual confirmation.
Could a bear of any size kill that little guy? Of course!
I may have been purely a matter of a quick “spat” between the dog and whatever. That said, I vote yote!

Acrossthepond

Reaction score
SO many variables to this incident...no telling what the circumstances were based on the lack of visual confirmation.
Could a bear of any size kill that little guy? Of course!
I may have been purely a matter of a quick “spat” between the dog and whatever. That said, I vote yote!
I guess I just want it to have been a bear attack...,It’s more exciting.
I reckon the dog will also be telling all his mates that he fought off a huge bear, rather than he got beat up by a scrawny yote. 😆

Acrossthepond

Reaction score
The dog’s owner must now be scared to let dog out in the garden?
Is the attack a good enough reason to go set up in the area with the intention of knocking over a few coyotes?

Grandkid

Reaction score
Wholy cow that dog got the snot bit out of him.....he must have put up a good fight to get away from whatever he got into. Hope he will still go out now.

Maybe he was abducted by some Grey's....👽

Roger-

Latest posts