Dog Food

Russell Bro.

Reaction score
Moose is about to turn a year and we are going to start the transition to adult formula dry food. He's been eating Blue Buffalo Wilderness puppy formula and he's been fine, no complatints. HOwever, I've heard some mixed reviews on Blue Buffalo in adult dogs. Something about the protein counts being too high and can lead to kidney damage.

Moose is about 70lbs. He walks 2-5 miles per day.

What are you feeding your dogs?

frontierrots

Reaction score
We currently feed Nutrisource performance and Nutrisource puppy

Blue Buffalo is a lot of hype but also a lot of recalls and problems (based on a lot of friends and clients)

I have decades of dog food and dog nutrition research and I tend to be a dog food snob BUT there is a price point above which I think the return is not matching to the outlay quality wise

Now our Blood tracking dog has food allergies so she is on a fairly pricey food, but I aim for something $40-$59 a bag with particular ingredients and companies that I avoid. Blue Buffalo is one of those

We either get our Nutrisource at Runnings or I order it online when I order the allergy dog's food from chewy.com free delivery over $49 and a big selection

Escout711

Reaction score
We have fed our chocolate lab Infinia Turkey and Sweet Potato since the day we got him. It's pricey, but he has stayed thin, trim, and muscular, not fat like most adult labs. We get it at Bay State Pet and Garden Supply, and every 8 bags we get a free one.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
I have had my chessie since he was a pup and I've always used Purina Pro Plan with never any issues. I visited quite a few sporting dog forums before making that decision and all said it good quality food for the price. Kenai put on a few pounds last year so had him on the weight management recently with some great results as well. Just remember it's the Pro Plan and not the lower grade Purina.

.270 Pump

Reaction score
I've fed Blue Buffalo to my lab for about 3 years now. He's had no problems with it.

massthru

Reaction score
I've always used eukanuba. Have never had any issues. I have heard that if you don't have any issues it's not a bad idea to stick with the food you are using. Best if luck with your pup

Tracker

Reaction score
Blue Seal Natural 26 my Lab lived to b 15 and I also feed it to my beagle she is 8 , not a single issue .... 25 pound bag is $21.00 at my local Agway store

mowbizz

Reaction score
Fed my Springer the puppy food that the breeder recommended for the 1st year ProPac puppy formula. Then I switched to the adult but it was hard to find locally. I did the internet research and found that the Blue Buffalo was supposed to be up there among the top brands so I switched as it is available anywhere. She gets a complete physical each January and has not had any issues...Nice firm turds a plenty!

frontierrots

Reaction score
I almost never buy food locally anymore. Either could not find what I wanted or suddenly a store would no longer sell it. I buy online and get it delivered to my door almost all the time.

If you feed something like Blueseal or Dog chow etc availability is never an issue

mowbizz

Reaction score
I almost never buy food locally anymore. Either could not find what I wanted or suddenly a store would no longer sell it. I buy online and get it delivered to my door almost all the time.

If you feed something like Blueseal or Dog chow etc availability is never an issue
I have had it delivered before too...maybe time to hit the dog food reviews again just to see how the Blue Buff is standing up...

mowbizz

Reaction score
I have had it delivered before too...maybe time to hit the dog food reviews again just to see how the Blue Buff is standing up...
Still rated 4 stars as a very good food...I'll stick with what I know works for now.

moossaka

Reaction score
Natures Variety Instinct is a good one. Vet recommended. Doesn't have a lot of fillers or unnecessary carbs. I switched my 70lbs female golden to it from Blue Buffalo about 3 years ago.

totalyirish5

Reaction score
We feed out two younger dogs blue seal crunchies. It's like $29 for a 50lb bag. After all the recalls in the industry we went with that bc it's american made and hasn't had recall issues.

For our old dog we feed her pure balance from walmart. It's like $35 for a 30lb bag. We talked to our vet about going grain free as she got older, but not wanting to break the bank. He said this is walmarts version of blue buffalo and compares better for less $$.

frontierrots

Reaction score
every dog has a different need and different tolerances. If it works for your dog and you are happy with how they look and act then stick with it

With my Rotts Blue seal crunchies, walmart foods etc don't have anywhere near the fat content they need and lots of ingredients they don't do well. We fed Ultra 27 for years but then I switched because of hot spots and ear infections. As long as I feed a mid grade or higher food with a set amount of fat at min and missing certain ingredients we have crystal clear skin and ears

Now the funny part is the Southern Black Mouth cur. Good old Southern huntin' dawg. SHE has horrible food allergies and cannot eat any food with corn, wheat, soy, apples, pears or brewers yeast and is sensitive to chicken. Go figure right? She has to eat a $60/25lb food

I feed the Rottweiler (plural before I lost 3 ) Nutrisource Performance or Puppy and am happy with how it works for her but if the cur dog got even a few kibbles of it her feet and ears would be a disaster

hornz

Reaction score
We feed our dog Merrick brand dry food