Does anyone go to Pennsylvania anymore?

bigbore442001

Reaction score
I recall in my youth Pennsylvania was a hotspot for deer hunting for many New Englanders, especially for the archery season. It seems that many hunters would flock to Potter County during the October season.

Now it seems very few if any hunters from this area go there anymore. I know of one man who owns land in Pennsylvania and hunts with the gun but that is about it.

bootstrap

Reaction score
the guy I have cut up my deer goes every year. has been going for many many years. always comes back with deer and he keeps going back. I thing he goes for gun season though.

oneshott

Banned
Reaction score
I went to PA on 2 trips. On the weekends and the first 2 or 3 days of gun season on public land, it can be kinda like going to the fireworks on the 4th. People setting up all over you, and bang bang bang. Had one guy yell at me to move down when I was at my spot 2 hours before he even got in the woods. He comes strolling in on his atv in broad daylight up the hill behind me, then yells down the hill for me to move down off to the side. Can get crazy on public land there.

BambiBlaster9000

Reaction score
I still hunt PA in Bradford County which falls right over the border between Binghamton and Elmira NY. I was out there a couple weeks ago for ML season more so to get some recon in for the upcoming rifle season as it is doe only.

Fortunately unlike NY I still have a private tract to hunt in PA. I have been out in the gamelands a few times and will definitely agree that it can be a S-show.

SAB1

Reaction score
Bow hunted there the last week of October for the first time. Deer we're not moving well but had fun.

M Kelly

Reaction score
We used to go down to Bradford County as well. Used to have a blast. Always came home with a truck load of deer. Agreed some of the state game lands were crazy, but some we had all to ourselves. We used to stay as my buddies Mom in Towanda. Have not been there in years.

Haystaddle

Reaction score
We used to bowhunt Tioga County right on the Bradford county border. Great times, but the owner of the property we camped and hunted on died in 1991. His family decided the property was more valuable for a paper co and they leveled it. Sad. Haven't been back to PA since. We had some great deer and turkey action.

270 bdl

Reaction score
I went to PA on 2 trips. On the weekends and the first 2 or 3 days of gun season on public land, it can be kinda like going to the fireworks on the 4th. People setting up all over you, and bang bang bang. Had one guy yell at me to move down when I was at my spot 2 hours before he even got in the woods. He comes strolling in on his atv in broad daylight up the hill behind me, then yells down the hill for me to move down off to the side. Can get crazy on public land there.
You could have had him arrested. No motorized anything allowed.

special ed

Reaction score
I go every year for early and late season muzzleloader ,its the meat hunt to fill the freezer .I normally buy 3 tags plus my buck tag which is good for anything in late season

bigbore442001

Reaction score
Interesting Special Ed. I am intrigued by the early Muzzleloading season. I would see it as a meat hunt myself but I haven't hunted Pennsylvania since 1985. I bowhunted around the town of Ulysses in Tioga County. I am sure it has changed since I was there last.

willy13

Reaction score
I started hunting PA in 1995..went every year up until a couple years ago. Lycoming County..when I first went there to hunt..very little deer...by 2000 the population went thru the roof...deer everywhere...since they opened up the doe permits the numbers are back down again..we used to go during archery season..than we'd go back for rifle..

Escout711

Reaction score
My grandfather lived in the Poconos from the mid-80's to 1997 or so. He used to be an avid feeder of deer, and every night he would put a pail of corn out in the backyard for the deer. He would get 20 or 30 deer in his yard at a time. He quit doing that when the bears eventually started showing up and raising hell with his bird feeders.