Doe Down and Broadhead Review

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Shot this doe out of a ground blind yesterday evening. Nothing to exciting about a doe, but I thought I would add a broadhead review to it. Swhacker 150 grain 3" cut. I have used them before with good results and always saw the small entrance hole and large exit. I did some careful checking with this deer, specifically the lungs. (should have taken a picture). The broadhead went thru the center of the lungs. Where it entered was a small closed hole like the entry(pictured) and where it exited the lung was the large 3" hole. So it opened inside the lung at some point. The deer ran at a dead run for 70 yards and went down in site. I would say head opened a bit late. Still had a good result though, just wondering if it would have made the traveled distance of the deer shorter if there had been a 3 inch cut going into the lung. IMG_3747.jpg IMG_3746.jpg IMG_3745 (1).jpg

lester2

Reaction score
I use the same broad head in my Excalibur crossbow. Shot an Ohio 9pt last year, entered behind the leg, went thru the heart and lodged in the opposite leg/shoulder area. Buck ran about 50-60 yards and was stone cold dead when I got to him 10 minutes later. Will be using them again this year!

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I use the same broad head in my Excalibur crossbow. Shot an Ohio 9pt last year, entered behind the leg, went thru the heart and lodged in the opposite leg/shoulder area. Buck ran about 50-60 yards and was stone cold dead when I got to him 10 minutes later. Will be using them again this year!
Yeah they put a nasty hole in them

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
Congrats. Looks like you had a good blood trail to follow if you needed it. My new crossbow has been quiet....nodeerhere. Have not seen a thing but out tomorrow morning for another try.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Congrats. Looks like you had a good blood trail to follow if you needed it. My new crossbow has been quiet....nodeerhere. Have not seen a thing but out tomorrow morning for another try.
Thanks. I was wondering if anyone would notice the trail. :) I was able to see it the whole way. My blind was in the woodline behind me.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Thanks. I was wondering if anyone would notice the trail. :) I was able to see it the whole way. My blind was in the woodline behind me.
Congrats LB - great healthy looking doe. Are those ticks all over her? Those damn things are so prevalent down here. I am not a huge fan of liver so I don't usually keep it but I was told, due to the ticks, to not eat the liver in NJ. Heart is fine though. Have you heard the same? Congrats on deer #1 of many for you this year.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Congrats LB - great healthy looking doe. Are those ticks all over her? Those damn things are so prevalent down here. I am not a huge fan of liver so I don't usually keep it but I was told, due to the ticks, to not eat the liver in NJ. Heart is fine though. Have you heard the same? Congrats on deer #1 of many for you this year.
They look like ticks in the picture, but I don't remember seeing any on it. I dropped it off at the butchers for a farmer that lets me hunt, so I didn't handle it too much. I've heard people say not to eat the liver also. I always would take it and make liver and bacon after a kill. Not anymore. Heart should be fine.

JDK

Reaction score
Congratulations.

That broadhead did put a hole in her.

benny8

Reaction score
Congrats Longbow! We use the 2 blade rage for crossbows. My deer last year had 2" slice on entry and exit. Sarah's deer had the same entry and exit was thru intestines and broadhead lodged in opposite hind knee. When I first saw the bolt with no broadhead I was worried that some of the horror stories were true about the Rage. But, I think any broadhead that hit the knee would break off with the deer running off.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
Congrats LB.
Giant hole in that deer.
I'm only able to draw 52# this year so I switched from 100gr 2" Rage hypodermics to 125Gr Slick Trick ViperTricks and a 4 fletch setup. I've been very happy, the 2 deer I shot so far this year were both complete pass throughs having to dig the arrow out of the dirt on the other side of the deer. One of the deer ran hard for ~100yds and dropped dead leaving a good blood trail. The other jumped when the arrow passed through him, took 2 or 3 steps, looked around and toppled over dead.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I still use my Bear broadheads or Muzzy 125’s on my long bow. Just depends on which area I’m hunting as to which I use, crossbow or longbow. Big farm fields I usually take the crossbow in the woods usually the long bow.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Congrats LB.
Giant hole in that deer.
I'm only able to draw 52# this year so I switched from 100gr 2" Rage hypodermics to 125Gr Slick Trick ViperTricks and a 4 fletch setup. I've been very happy, the 2 deer I shot so far this year were both complete pass throughs having to dig the arrow out of the dirt on the other side of the deer. One of the deer ran hard for ~100yds and dropped dead leaving a good blood trail. The other jumped when the arrow passed through him, took 2 or 3 steps, looked around and toppled over dead.
My family has seen 2 complete pass through shots, buried in the dirt just like you saw using the Viper tricks, and one of the passthroughs was a sub-50lb draw weight and a 26" draw, if I remember right.

Wandling

Reaction score
My buddy used 100 grain schwackers last year. Shot his buck at 10 yards and thought he missed. It stopped again at 30 and he shot again without a pass through. The deer ran about 150-200 yards with very little blood to follow. Both hits were in the same hole almost. The blades were mangled. It was a double lung hit. He switched to magnus stingers this year. Everyone has their own experience and preferences however. I prefer a fixed blade Magnus. 7C71EA74-5926-4E49-B67E-DC2710B38F97.jpeg C6EB2FD5-73E5-4A95-B998-7F505A716EA0.jpeg 5DDB0FC1-14E3-4B2C-BB7C-DD8B7FB16DB3.jpeg

Latest posts