DIY Deer/Game Hoist

greenpasture243

Reaction score
Found a cool video on how to do this! I am older, hunt alone, and have a bad back, so I am definitely going to put this hoist onto a tree in the field I hunt. What does everyone think? Looks simple to make. DIY Deer Hoist

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
What a total waste of money and time ! I built portable rope ratchets hoists for our game pole that dont need any screws in trees or step ladders to put up that are more than twice as strong as this junk and take a fraction of the time to set up .
I would of set up the hoist , had the deer in the truck , pack the hoist back up and gone by the time this crap setup would have the pulley secured to the branch .

Mine consists of 80 feet of 1/2 inch solid braid nylon rope thats 800lb working load capacity , 1/2 inch rope ratchet 500 lb working load , one pulley thats 600 lb working load ,

Rope Ratchet $18 , 80 ft 1/2 inch solid Braid Rope $8 , M32 600 lb pulley $4 = $30 total

And mine is wound up neatly on my spools I made from leftover materials . Nice and portable.
It says in the comments that junk setup costs $75 bucks . Mine cost $30 . And if you know how a hoist works , if you are lifting a 200 lb deer , the rig in the video is lifting the entire 200 lbs . My setup with the rope ratchet plus the pulley is acting like a block and tackle . I am only lifting 1/2 or less of the 200 lbs when I pull on the rope to lift the deer up . But in the video you are lifting 100 percent of the 200 lbs on that manual crank .
Not to mention I dont need to bring a drill set , a socket set , step ladder , lag bolts , and a piece of 2x6 PT with me .

Pic of 3 of the 6 I put together for the Camp Game Pole

Hoist.JPG

Last edited:

Browseline

Reaction score
Glad it works for you. If I was hunting in a field and could drive a truck to the deer and couldn't load it, I would call up a friend or get back in the truck and go find someone to help me load it before I would go through that performance.

Flatlander

Reaction score
Sportsman Nh why do you need 80 ft. Of rope ? I've seen permanent set ups with a boat trailer winch that work well.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I had a problem once with a jacked up truck, and a 230 lb buck. I just hooked my come a long to a bed hook and cranked him up. Once I got him up a bit I pulled him in.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Sportsman Nh why do you need 80 ft. Of rope ? I've seen permanent set ups with a boat trailer winch that work well.

It all depends on how far away the tie off spot is . To give you an example :

Game pole is 13 ft high . With a rope ratchet I need 2 runs of rope 13 ft plus the 8 feet pull rope hanging down from the pulley . Thats the rope I am going to pull on to pull the deer up . In this case I would have the pulley tied on the rope at 34 feet from the end of the rope . The rope ratchet hangs down 13 feet down to the ground from the pulley Now you need another 13 feet of rope that goes up and through the pulley . Then there is 8 feet of rope hanging down . Thats the end you pull to lift the deer . You hook the deer to the rope ratchet . So you used up 34 feet of the rope . The remaining 46 is used to tie off to the nearest tree of choice on the other side of the game pole . I have 80 because you dont know how far you might need to go to tie off the rope Take a good look at this picture . It should answer your question . Look to the right of the deer . You will see an unused rope. Pulley up at the game pole . Rope coming down to the ratchet that you cant see on the ground . Then the rope goes back up to the pulley and then hangs down about 8 feet . Its very simple and efficient . I can set that rope hoist up in a couple minutes ready to pull up a deer .
One thing I didn't mention The rope ratchet does not slip backwards .. You can pull up a couple feet at a time and let go of the rope to get a better grip . The deer doesn't slide backwards .

Game Pole 2020.JPG

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
It all depends on how far away the tie off spot is . To give you an example :

Game pole is 13 ft high . With a rope ratchet I need 2 runs of rope 13 ft plus the 8 feet pull rope hanging down from the pulley . Thats the rope I am going to pull on to pull the deer up . In this case I would have the pulley tied on the rope at 34 feet from the end of the rope . The rope ratchet hangs down 13 feet down to the ground from the pulley Now you need another 13 feet of rope that goes up and through the pulley . Then there is 8 feet of rope hanging down . Thats the end you pull to lift the deer . You hook the deer to the rope ratchet . So you used up 34 feet of the rope . The remaining 46 is used to tie off to the nearest tree of choice on the other side of the game pole . I have 80 because you dont know how far you might need to go to tie off the rope Take a good look at this picture . It should answer your question . Look to the right of the deer . You will see an unused rope. Pulley up at the game pole . Rope coming down to the ratchet that you cant see on the ground . Then the rope goes back up to the pulley and then hangs down about 8 feet . Its very simple and efficient . I can set that rope hoist up in a couple minutes ready to pull up a deer .
One thing I didn't mention The rope ratchet does not slip backwards .. You can pull up a couple feet at a time and let go of the rope to get a better grip . The deer doesn't slide backwards .

View attachment 26262
How do you use it to get the deer in the back of the truck when out hunting?

mowbizz

Reaction score
Geeze…you guys weaklings? 🤣🤣🤣 what a production to hang a deer!
Just kidding! I use my tractor loader to hoist my buck! 😂

groundtender

Reaction score
If possible drag the carcass to a spot on the road where there’s a clear chance to back up to a berm that’s close to tailgate height. Likewise I loaded a moose calf once that was in the road. The gulley at the roadside was just wide enough so I could pull my old Tundra square into it. Slid the calf right into the back. The center of the truck was about 3’ off the ground, but it really worked as planned. Would Not dare do that with the 07 Tundra I have now, it’s not the mountain goat that ‘02 was

Last edited:

SportsmanNH

Reaction score

You dont need it , but it can be helpful If you have a sheet of plywood cut to the length of bed of your truck , you have a built in ramp .. Dont you have built in tie down loops inside your truck bed on the side wall about a foot inside from the tailgate ? . I drilled holes about 6 inches down from both corners on the sheet of plywood in my truck bed. The holes wood be on the cab side of plywood . Slide the plywood out of the bed to ramp position on the tail gate . Hook bungee cords to the plywood and stretch it to hook on the tie down loops . And Presto ! You have a built in ramp ! Slide the deer up the plywood ramp and you are done !
Now if you have health issues and cant drag it up the ramp , hook the rope ratchet up to the back tie down loops near the cap and crank the deer in . Slide the deer up the plywood ramp head first . Your come along would work well too for this . But with mine , you can use the rope ratchet to hang the deer from the game pole when you get it to camp ! :)

By the way . I let friends of mine use the rope ratchets on a moose hunt . They got a 753 lb bull . Once they got it to the logging road with the come along winches , they used the rope ratchet over a branch to lift it up high enough to drive the truck under it and put it in the bed.

greenpasture243

Reaction score
What a total waste of money and time ! I built portable rope ratchets hoists for our game pole that dont need any screws in trees or step ladders to put up that are more than twice as strong as this junk and take a fraction of the time to set up .
I would of set up the hoist , had the deer in the truck , pack the hoist back up and gone by the time this crap setup would have the pulley secured to the branch .

Mine consists of 80 feet of 1/2 inch solid braid nylon rope thats 800lb working load capacity , 1/2 inch rope ratchet 500 lb working load , one pulley thats 600 lb working load ,

Rope Ratchet $18 , 80 ft 1/2 inch solid Braid Rope $8 , M32 600 lb pulley $4 = $30 total

And mine is wound up neatly on my spools I made from leftover materials . Nice and portable.
It says in the comments that junk setup costs $75 bucks . Mine cost $30 . And if you know how a hoist works , if you are lifting a 200 lb deer , the rig in the video is lifting the entire 200 lbs . My setup with the rope ratchet plus the pulley is acting like a block and tackle . I am only lifting 1/2 or less of the 200 lbs when I pull on the rope to lift the deer up . But in the video you are lifting 100 percent of the 200 lbs on that manual crank .
Not to mention I dont need to bring a drill set , a socket set , step ladder , lag bolts , and a piece of 2x6 PT with me .

Pic of 3 of the 6 I put together for the Camp Game Pole

View attachment 26261
I wasn't looking for portable, I want permanent. I have a perfect tree on edge of where I hunt. Thus, the solution with the boat strap is perfect for me. Yours is cool too, but not what I am looking for. If I shoot a deer bigger than 250, then I would be so happy, I wouldn't care if I can't lift it!

Latest posts