Deer

JDK

Reaction score
Took the grandtwerp to Ashland Sunday to look at deer. Saw in the neighborhood of 60 or so plus a like number of turkeys. Deer looked great and there isn’t much snow left. Saw 2 radio collared deer also

Aroostook River is mostly out, sledding is done, and I can see the rock in front of the house. Spring is springing. Was an easy winter

mowbizz

Reaction score
So, in a Ashland, is there someone that feeds the deer? How is it that you saw so many deer? Not really an easy winter here in central NH as the deep snow packed and crusted giving predators access across the board. It stayed crusted until all the recent rains...on that note, in my “deer poor” area, they started moving around again as evidenced by some massive tracks through my property. No eyeballs on them yet but my cams have recorded them.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Will be interesting how the hunting season turns out and what this translates too.

I truly believe in western Maine the herd is worse than what most think. The harvest last year was an indication I think.

This winter was short and mild. I think deer in places didn’t need to yard up too hard, so maybe that’s why I wasn’t seeing as many as usual but it was pretty bleak for sightings. Pittston/NE Carry/Kakadjo/Jackman/Forks. I was in and out of those areas and yards all winter. Not much activity and I hope it’s because the deer were dispersed and not because there were just not many. The good thing is the lack of car collisions on 201. Some years 100 deer are killed. This year I heard about a handful. Only saw one, just a couple blood spots, etc. No many beat down trails in general.

JDK

Reaction score
Yes, there is some feeding going on in Ashland but the Aroostook River basin is a large deer yard. We just putted along a road and saw them bedded in the woods, standing in the road, and feeding in some cuts. They also yard along Route 11 up to Portage Lake although we didn't go that far up. We saw a few deer in downtown Presque Isle.

I'm not entirely sure that the deer fully yarded this year.

JDK

Reaction score
Will be interesting how the hunting season turns out and what this translates too.

I truly believe in western Maine the herd is worse than what most think. The harvest last year was an indication I think.

This winter was short and mild. I think deer in places didn’t need to yard up too hard, so maybe that’s why I wasn’t seeing as many as usual but it was pretty bleak for sightings. Pittston/NE Carry/Kakadjo/Jackman/Forks. I was in and out of those areas and yards all winter. Not much activity and I hope it’s because the deer were dispersed and not because there were just not many. The good thing is the lack of car collisions on 201. Some years 100 deer are killed. This year I heard about a handful. Only saw one, just a couple blood spots, etc. No many beat down trails in general.

I can't speak for western Maine but would agree with the bold as being the same here. The yards in Caribou, that I know about, had far fewer deer than the past. We used to have them in the yard here at work, this year nothing. No trails no tracks nothing. They also yard across the road from my house....nothing.

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
We hashed this out in another thread. Just look at Bishops in Jackman. They tagged the fewest deer in years.

groundtender

Reaction score
JDK - Any snow in the woods? My wife and I went to VT for a few days last week. Basically no snow anywhere except the dark shady areas, and very little there.

JDK

Reaction score
Very little. We went to St Agatha yesterday and were amazed at how little was in the woods all the way up. I may take a ride this afternoon to see what is out west of Caribou

groundtender

Reaction score
Very little. We went to St Agatha yesterday and were amazed at how little was in the woods all the way up. I may take a ride this afternoon to see what is out west of Caribou
Amazing. I hope to get up that way soon for a few days before I get so busy here I meet myself coming and going. Thank you

Reactions: JDK

JDK

Reaction score
I've been walking in the evenings. Amazed at how dry it is and a normal year I'd be slogging through a foot of snow. Seems to be a good number (well at least 5) deer around. I also have been seeing a number of predators, porcupines, and actually saw a fresh set of moose tracks. Have not seen a bear or any bear tracks but I have to imagine that they are roaming around now also.

Aroostook River is almost fishable. Lakes south of us are going out fast, trees are budded and in some places you can see a green tint. Early Spring for sure.

cdc

Reaction score
I've been walking in the evenings. Amazed at how dry it is and a normal year I'd be slogging through a foot of snow. Seems to be a good number (well at least 5) deer around. I also have been seeing a number of predators, porcupines, and actually saw a fresh set of moose tracks. Have not seen a bear or any bear tracks but I have to imagine that they are roaming around now also.

Aroostook River is almost fishable. Lakes south of us are going out fast, trees are budded and in some places you can see a green tint. Early Spring for sure.
Will be up that way june 5th thru the 12th fishing the Aroostook ,sounds like i may hit it right :cool:

Latest posts