Deer rifle for youth/ short shooters

Pine-lock

Reaction score
What guns do you own that have a longer LOP than 13.6? I quickly looked through all the regular bolt guns like browning, rem, win, etc and it appears that 13.5 is the standard. I couldnt find anything longer.
So that's the part where the math doesn't line up with my "feel". If/when I hunt with a bolt gun I use a 30.06 xbolt with a 22" barrel. It's heavier and longer than I'd prefer. Any time I've handled the short action Adirondack I feel like the bolt handle and scope are right in my face, although the reach to the trigger seems to be ok. It also has a shorter front end, which is probably exactly what you're looking for. I'm 6'2" with a proportional wing span so that does feel a little small to me.

NHbucktrack19

Reaction score
In the area of southern nh I live and hunt currently it’s shotgun and muzzleloader. I have a mossberg 12g with the hogue short stock which I believe has 12 “ LOP. I used the traditions Vortek last ML season but found the stock of was a big long for me to shoulder quickly I sold it with the plan of getting the buckstalker youth model for the season and I’ve looked everywhere for it. I’ve bought it from 2 sites that had to refund me my money because they didn’t have it in stock and I’m starting to get nervous I may have porked myself

Meatseeker

Reaction score
A Howa mini action in 350 legend with a Boyds stock cut factory cut to what ever LOP you might might be a good option. This winter I put together a neat little ultra-lite rifle for stand hunting whitetails on big public land areas where long walks in are typical. I add details in a new post... I don't want to highjack this thread.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
So that's the part where the math doesn't line up with my "feel". If/when I hunt with a bolt gun I use a 30.06 xbolt with a 22" barrel. It's heavier and longer than I'd prefer. Any time I've handled the short action Adirondack I feel like the bolt handle and scope are right in my face, although the reach to the trigger seems to be ok. It also has a shorter front end, which is probably exactly what you're looking for. I'm 6'2" with a proportional wing span so that does feel a little small to me.
Makes sense, they all feel different. The reports and articles said the kimbers in general have a different design and feel of the stock between the handle area and the trigger reach too compared to most rifles. I have never held one, but at somepoint it’s on my dream list to get one if it fits me well.

Last edited:

Jimmy S

Reaction score
I would suggest checking into the Ruger .44 mag carbine.
Short, light weight and semi automatic..

Over the past (many) years, I have shot more deer with it than any other I own.

Good luck in your search.

Latest posts