Deer rifle for youth/ short shooters

NHbucktrack19

Reaction score
Hey guys I’m long time outdoorsman but newer to hunting deer. I always seem to have trouble finding firearms that fit me well due to my stocky build and short arms. Length of a pull is most comfortable for me around 12” which makes buying big boy guns tough. Some companies like mossberg make youth/bantam firearms which are sweet and for my 590 12g I got a hogue short stock which puts my length of pull around 12”. I bought a traditions vortek ML which has a bit to long of a stock but plan on trading it for a buck stalker compact which fits me better and I also need a deer rifle that is sized for me. Does anyone know of any good ones? I considered a semi auto for quick follow ups. I have only hunted 2 seasons but really like tracking and still hunting. A lot of those guys use the Remington 7600 but even the cArbine version is a bit long for me to cycle comfortably. I’d love some ideas. Thanks

J57

Reaction score
I have the same issue as you trex arms. I built 300blk AR15 collapsible stock. There are other calibers 6.5 Grendel, 350 legend, 6.8 spc even. 308. Carrying an AR with 2 point sling has been very comfortable. The stock adjustment is great.

NHbucktrack19

Reaction score
I wasn’t aware any stock could be cut. Any wood maybe. I’m thinking of what my original mossberg stock looked like and the internals for the screws to the pad would be getting cut short isn’t that right?

Franco S. Cruz

Reaction score
I'm new also and wanting to learn more to get out and land a buck or doe. I got a 30-06 rifle and I believe I got it scoped in as best as I could.

benny8

Reaction score
I work for Ruger Firearms in Newport, NH. The Ruger American Compact rifle is a great tack driving rifle with a short length of pull offered at a reasonable price. I have a .308, my dad has a .308 and the wife and daughter each have a .243.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I would vote for the ruger american rifle compact. I bought one for my daughter but love it. Short length of pull and overall a short rifle. I’m short and like a 12-12.5 lop. I have cut down my 7600 wood, but you can put a youth stock on those too wood or synthetic. I have done both.

That ruger is an affordable rifle that is really accurate.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
Don't laugh but I saw a Guns and Ammo review of the new ultralight Howa bolt action rifle. With the mini action chambered in 223, 6.5 Grendel and 350 Legend it weights 4 .1 pounds or something like that.

NHbucktrack19

Reaction score
Kingman, the 7600 makes a youth stock? That was a gun I was interested in because I’m efficient on a pump but that is a gun that the LOP is especially important to have the right length due to the manipulation of the action.
I would vote for the ruger american rifle compact. I bought one for my daughter but love it. Short length of pull and overall a short rifle. I’m short and like a 12-12.5 lop. I have cut down my 7600 wood, but you can put a youth stock on those too wood or synthetic. I have done both.

That ruger is an affordable rifle that is really accurate.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Kingman, the 7600 makes a youth stock? That was a gun I was interested in because I’m efficient on a pump but that is a gun that the LOP is especially important to have the right length due to the manipulation of the action.
Do some research, but I am also certain the Remington 1100 youth stock bolts right on. Some old threads on this site talk about it from years ago.

RememberBaker

Reaction score

hammertime

Reaction score
I have the opposite problem. 6'4" makes my 760 carbine feel a little short. I'm going to add an after market recoil pad. I bought my daughter a x bolt micro medallion and that may be an option for you

BDB

Reaction score
I have a Tikka T3 Scout in .308 I bought for my daughter, it's too short for me though. Problem is my daughter just doesn't want to shoot and will never get into hunting, at least not for a long time. Great little rifle, hit me up in PM if you are interested in it, I have been thinking of selling it anyway ;-)

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
it’s way to small for me but it’s an awesome gun. shooterbuck has one that I’ve handled. I’ve considered the full size 84m. It’s still a very light gun. Not quite as light as the mountain ascent is/was though.
i have exactly one non muzzleloader with a barrel over 20 inches. Absolutely love the carbine size for my type of hunting and size. Only issue I think I may have is the LOP which is 13.5 inches. All of mine are 13 and under for the most part

Pine-lock

Reaction score
i have exactly one non muzzleloader with a barrel over 20 inches. Absolutely love the carbine size for my type of hunting and size. Only issue I think I may have is the LOP which is 13.5 inches. All of mine are 13 and under for the most part
That's my only problem with the Adirondack. I have no issue with a short barrel. But the LOP is too short for me to shoot it comfortably.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
That's my only problem with the Adirondack. I have no issue with a short barrel. But the LOP is too short for me to shoot it comfortably.
What guns do you own that have a longer LOP than 13.6? I quickly looked through all the regular bolt guns like browning, rem, win, etc and it appears that 13.5 is the standard. I couldnt find anything longer.

Latest posts