Deer Hunting in the White Mountains?

bigbore442001

Reaction score
Hello All:

This past weekend I did a DIY black bear hunt in the White Mountain region using some scent for an attractant. Anyways no luck. But I did ride around a bit and the drive did bring back some fond memories of my youth and stories from my late Dad.

From around 1958 to 1975 or so, my Dad and Grandfather hunted the White Mountains religiously. They hunted the Twin Mountain area and an area called Cherry Mountain.

Dad was an exceptional hunter. He would get his limit in those days each year.

It was around 1975 or so that Dad and a group of others who hunted that area stopped. Dad said that the deer population fell off quite a bit. He blamed some bad winters.

I was wondering what is the opinion of others.

It seemed that the White Mountain Region was a bit of deer hunting mecca in that era then fell off the radar.

I am not asking a blame game thing but I am more curious as to what may have happened?

In a way the area does intrigue me and now that I have a NH license I am tempted to do a hunt in that area more for the memories or testimonial for my Dad and Grand Dad than anything else.

Any comments are appreciated.

lester2

Reaction score
I’ve hunted within a couple miles of Cherry Mountain off of Rt 115 quite a bit in the last 5-6 years. Not a lot of deer but they’re there. Very few hunters, which is nice and plenty of room to roam on the WMNF land.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I hunted cherry mountain as a kid. A family friend lived at the base/side of it in Dalton.I loved it up there.

If you were serious about hunting those areas, I'd look for some logging that's been done a couple years ago and start there. If nothing else you'll have a great excuse to go leaf peeping / scouting for the next month and a half. You should be able to find something off google earth. Not to mention there should be some decent fall fishing when the water cools down.

Rachelwjd

Reaction score
Oh, I wish I had a father who would teach me all the things about hunting. What a pleasure to hunt in the white mountains. It's been my dream since I was a teenager to finally get to the mountains and hunt deer, especially in winter. I think that now I am ready for such an adventure, it will be necessary to try to hunt in Denver. As far as I know, it is possible to do it there. At least I read this from one article on this site ballachy.com. So, guys, tell me, what is it like to hunt in the mountains? What emotions did you experience while hunting?

Last edited:

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Oh, I wish I had a father who would teach me all the things about hunting. What a pleasure to hunt in the white mountains. It's been my dream since I was a teenager to finally get to the mountains and hunt deer, especially in winter. I think that now I am ready for such an adventure, it will be necessary to try to hunt in Denver. As far as I know, it is possible to do it there. At least I read this from one article on this site ballachy.com. So, guys, tell me, what is it like to hunt in the mountains? What emotions did you experience while hunting?
Mostly fatigue. 😂

mowbizz

Reaction score
Sounds like you need a hunting mentor Rachel! As for hunting in Denver, you would most likely be looking for a spot somewhat more remote than there…there should be opportunities in Colorado for mule deer and elk depending on which species you want to hunt. Take a hunter safety course and get advice from the instructors on where you can go in the chosen area. You could also hire an outfitter or guide as well!
The closest I ever got to mountain hunting was in the foothills of the White Mountains of NH on mountains like Kearsarge and Moose Mt but if you hunt the ridges, you are rewarded with a nice view if lucky enough. Good luck and make your own memories!

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Welcome Rachel. Where are you writing from? I don’t think you’ll find too many whitetails in Denver. Your best bet would be to find an outfitter. Some areas you need preference points. They are very regulated so a mentor or guide would be advisable. Here’s a copy of their regulations.

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Brochure/BigGame/biggame.pdf

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Rachel , right after you shoot that deer on Main St in Denver , you can drag it right over to that butcher shop on the corner and they will can the meat for you so you can enjoy it every day of the year !

Spam.jpeg

Latest posts