Deer Hunting Firearm

DMick

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could offer some clarification on what is considered primitive rifle for hunting deer in Massachusetts. The description on the Mass Wildlife Websites states "Single projectile only (no buckshot). Sabot rounds, 209 primers, break/hinge-action muzzleloaders". Would a single shot, break/hinge action rifle that is chambered in .35 Whelen or .45-70 Government be considered a primitive rifle/firearm for deer hunting if it were a "hinge/break action"? Any information you could provide would be a great help.

Mikejd

Reaction score
I am not up to speed on Mass laws but usually when a state refers to primitive arms they mean a muzzleloader. By your description I believe that is exactly what they mean. So no a rifle in 35 Whelen or 45-70 would not be a primitive arm.

Sounds to me (by what I read in your description) that Mass still requires a Caprock style muzzleloader as a primitive arms. Likely a round ball and patch or bufalo style projectile no sabot. Also a "11 cap and not the more modern or common 209 primer.

You have many guys from Mass on here so I am sure someone will give good info.

Pine-lock

Reaction score
Centerfire rifles for deer are a no go in MA.

Primitive firearms covers muzzle loaders. Including 209 fired break/hinge actions. (Break/hinge actions were not allowed until a few years back.) As well as the traditional cap lock and flint lock styles.

trackah

Reaction score
From the Mass Fisheries and wildlife website

" Primitive fire arms: Shoulder-fired muzzleloaders .44 caliber to .775 caliber; barrel length 18 inches or more with only one barrel operational. Inline ignition systems are permitted providing the firearm loads from the muzzle. Single projectile only (no buckshot). Sabot rounds, 209 primers, break/hinge-action muzzleloaders, and scopes are permitted. Powder limited to black powder or black powder substitutes. A muzzleloader is considered unloaded when cap or pan powder is removed. "

I take that to be powder and projectile must be loaded through the muzzle. i.e. no cartridge.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could offer some clarification on what is considered primitive rifle for hunting deer in Massachusetts. The description on the Mass Wildlife Websites states "Single projectile only (no buckshot). Sabot rounds, 209 primers, break/hinge-action muzzleloaders". Would a single shot, break/hinge action rifle that is chambered in .35 Whelen or .45-70 Government be considered a primitive rifle/firearm for deer hunting if it were a "hinge/break action"? Any information you could provide would be a great help.
Those are muzzleloader rules. YOu cannot hunt deer with a centerfire rifle in Massachusetts

Latest posts