Deer Calls

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
Is anyone using a Deer Call App and if you are what kind of results have you had. The reason I ask is I tried one last year and had some responses from does and young bucks but no mature bucks. I will be using it again this year with a small bluetooth speaker.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
I have never fared well with a call. I have used a grunt call but never called one in. I have used the BWB call and interestingly have had lots of effects with that one. When I have jumped deer I have used it and got deer to blow back at me. On one occasion the deer blew back for 20+ mins and 7 or 8 times. It did not do me much good as the deer knew exactly where I was and stayed out of range. I also have used the "can cal"l that people swear by. It has been excellent for me to call in coyotes. LB was your post a joke or did you actually call in 10 deer last year with a grunt? and was that up in ME or here in NJ?

I am shocked how well it works for the Elmers.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I have never fared well with a call. I have used a grunt call but never called one in. I have used the BWB call and interestingly have had lots of effects with that one. When I have jumped deer I have used it and got deer to blow back at me. On one occasion the deer blew back for 20+ mins and 7 or 8 times. It did not do me much good as the deer knew exactly where I was and stayed out of range. I also have used the "can cal"l that people swear by. It has been excellent for me to call in coyotes. LB was your post a joke or did you actually call in 10 deer last year with a grunt? and was that up in ME or here in NJ?

I am shocked how well it works for the Elmers.
Not a joke I hunt almost every day for at least part of the day during bow season especially during the rut in NJ. When I see a buck cruising I give a couple of louder grunts to stop him. When he stops and looks, a couple soft grants normally bring him right over. Works best on lone cruising bucks, not so good if he is already with a doe.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Also have grunted in 6 bucks in Maine. I was blind grunting, meaning I had not seen the buck, just grunting every 20 minutes on a cold, still morning. I was actually able to backtrack two of the bucks after I shot them and found where they stopped and made a 90 degree turn and came right to me.

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
I do use the can and grunt calls too but I am telling you that I called in several deer last year with the deer call app I downloaded on my phone. I wanted to know if anyone other than me was using one and what results they were having? Guess I am the only one trying this? I will let you know how it goes this year.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I do use the can and grunt calls too but I am telling you that I called in several deer last year with the deer call app I downloaded on my phone. I wanted to know if anyone other than me was using one and what results they were having? Guess I am the only one trying this? I will let you know how it goes this year.
Sounds interesting. How is the volume on it, loud enough?

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I've killed three bucks in VT with the grunt call. All of them were small.

We have had luck in Maine with the can call.

You should probably check state regulations before using a phone. It is illegal in some states to use electronic calls for deer hunting.

BearHunter

Reaction score
Have had success with grunt call in Maine and Tennessee. I also try rattling but have only had success twice with that method in all the years in Maine.

benny8

Reaction score
I've killed three bucks in VT with the grunt call. All of them were small.

We have had luck in Maine with the can call.

You should probably check state regulations before using a phone. It is illegal in some states to use electronic calls for deer hunting.
Mountain Hunter is correct, here in NH electronic calls are illegal for deer, turkey and waterfowl. I have had limited success with grunt calling. I have taken deer that came in after I have been grunting. Whether I called them in or they were just headed my way anyway is the question.

nhbowhunter

Reaction score
Mountain Hunter is correct, here in NH electronic calls are illegal for deer, turkey and waterfowl. I have had limited success with grunt calling. I have taken deer that came in after I have been grunting. Whether I called them in or they were just headed my way anyway is the question.
I believe electronic calls for deer are now legal. At least it's not showing up in the regs, probably need to contact F&G. http://www.eregulations.com/newhampshire/hunting/general-hunting-regulations/

benny8

Reaction score

Latest posts