Darn Tough socks?

lester2

Reaction score
In July 2010 I was 4 months into a tour in Afghanistan. Our base was covered with 3-4" minus crushed stone. Walking on it all day was hard on the feet, more so when you were preparing to go outside the wire wearing body armor, helmet, two weapons and ammo and assault bag. Then one day we got a bunch of "care packages" from back home in VT and each one had a pair of darn tough socks in them, OD green in color. I put them on and was amazed how good my feet felt. Still have that pair plus several more, best socks I've ever owned!

NH Mountains

Reaction score
In July 2010 I was 4 months into a tour in Afghanistan. Our base was covered with 3-4" minus crushed stone. Walking on it all day was hard on the feet, more so when you were preparing to go outside the wire wearing body armor, helmet, two weapons and ammo and assault bag. Then one day we got a bunch of "care packages" from back home in VT and each one had a pair of darn tough socks in them, OD green in color. I put them on and was amazed how good my feet felt. Still have that pair plus several more, best socks I've ever owned!
Thank you for your service Lester.

Big D

Reaction score
Figured I'd post a gear report after hunting this season with the socks. Honestly the best socks I've ever owned. Was a little skeptical when I got them because they seemed a little on the thin side. Thinner than some socks but the density of the weave makes the difference. Super comfortable and the feet never got cold even still hunting on single digit days with muck boots. Those socks have been repurposed for work wear and I'm hoping Santa will be bringing me a few more pair. If you've never tried them you owe it to your feet to get some. Especially if you're on your feet eating up miles during the hunting season. Great socks.

mowbizz

Reaction score
What’s the consensus on height needed for wearing with rubber boots? Over calf?

What line for? Walking miles a day in uninsulated boots?

Standing on a frozen lake for 8 hours in insulated boots at -20?
I use the “Hunter” over the calf ones but I don’t still hunt much anymore...mostly ground blind and
I also use them for everything else to like working around the yard and going out. My feet never get cold with them. I like the over the calf ones because they don’t fall down...

Big D

Reaction score
What’s the consensus on height needed for wearing with rubber boots? Over calf?

What line for? Walking miles a day in uninsulated boots?

Standing on a frozen lake for 8 hours in insulated boots at -20?

Definitely over the calf. I wear the hunter socks on an average November day hunting and am fine. I'm usually moving though. I have a few pairs of the mountaineer ones that are great all winter long. Cold November hunts and all ice fishing season never an issue. Just a little bit thicker. Those are also good if your just looking to take up a little slack in your boots. I mostly wear mucks or unisulated lacrosse.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Definitely over the calf. I wear the hunter socks on an average November day hunting and am fine. I'm usually moving though. I have a few pairs of the mountaineer ones that are great all winter long. Cold November hunts and all ice fishing season never an issue. Just a little bit thicker. Those are also good if your just looking to take up a little slack in your boots. I mostly wear mucks or unisulated lacrosse.
Thanks Biggie D. Exactly what I was looking for as I have the same boots and do the same activities.

lester2

Reaction score
My wife always checks the men’s department any time she visits a TJ Maxx store. She has found me a few pairs on sale for around $10.

Grandkid

Reaction score
I like the minus 33 socks. But also have the Darn Tough brand as well.

TheLostBeaver

Reaction score
I bought a pair last year to wear with uninsulated rubber boots, over the calf, I think they were called hunter. I liked them except my feet always felt a little bit wet, I started wearing a pair of regular socks underneath them and that solved it. I used that setup until the temp was in the single digits, then I switched to insulated boots. They seem to be very well made and didn’t stretch out like other wool socks I have. I’d like to get a second pair for next year, hoping to find them on sale though, paid $40.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I bought a pair last year to wear with uninsulated rubber boots, over the calf, I think they were called hunter. I liked them except my feet always felt a little bit wet, I started wearing a pair of regular socks underneath them and that solved it. I used that setup until the temp was in the single digits, then I switched to insulated boots. They seem to be very well made and didn’t stretch out like other wool socks I have. I’d like to get a second pair for next year, hoping to find them on sale though, paid $40.
I find military sock liners that are poly pro keep the moisture off the skin. Rubber boots are a love hate relationship, because they don’t breath.

Big D

Reaction score
Keep an eye on GoBros.com. They are constantly having discounts. I've got all mine through them and usually pay around $20- $22 bucks.