Crossbow license

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone got a notice about taking the on-line class from MDIFW, and whether they did or not? The class (which was a couple hours I think) and subsequent test afterward was $30. And, I gotta say, I'll probably never use one, but there was something about adding another license to my own quiver that appealed to me, so I took it and am licensed now. I'd never just jump in, but if I chose to, I'm glad I did the impulse thing and sat for the test. It was pretty painless.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Seems strange that you have to take a “course” for crossbow…?🧐

mowbizz

Reaction score
We don't have a crossbow course here, just archery.
Same here…I got mine (crossbow license) on a medical issue. Took the archery course maybe 10 years ago when I got back into archery. Before that, last time I hunted archery was in the 60’s through the 80’s in VT.

Dirigoboy

Reaction score
Just to follow up on this, I found this on Maine Government site: Crossbow-Fact-Sheet.pdf (maine.gov)

Safety Course, License and Permit Requirements: • To purchase a crossbow hunting permit, a person must have a current Maine firearms hunting license or a current Maine archery hunting license and o successfully have completed a crossbow hunting education program OR o have the ability to show proof of having previously held a valid permit or license that authorized the use of a crossbow in any year after 1979 (that is not a junior hunting license or an apprenticeship hunter license). • NOTE: Existing license holders who have already held an archery or hunting license and want to try crossbow hunting only need to complete either the online crossbow course for $30 or attend one of the in-person crossbow courses (often free but facility fees may apply) that the Department offers periodically, to become eligible to purchase a crossbow permit. • When proof or evidence cannot be otherwise provided, the applicant may substitute a signed affidavit that the applicant has previously held a valid permit or license that authorized the use of a crossbow (that is not a junior hunting license or an apprenticeship hunter license). • Crossbow hunting courses are now available online or in-person classes listed on our website. Check mefishwildlife.com for more information.

Any Maine resident who is thinking about taking the on-line course can find it through this link: Official Maine Crossbow Safety Course - Online ME Crossbow Certification (crossbow-ed.com)

Last edited:

Latest posts