Couple fresh Moose Sheds

Xbolt

Reaction score
It is only 100hp, and 154 inch long track so wasn’t built with top end in mind. That being said, around 80mph. I’ve had the high HP mountain sleds and trail rockets, but none of it appeals to me anymore except just bombing around on logging roads or trail riding with the girls.
We, have a 2018 yamaha, sidewinder 3 cyl turbo
Did alot of rideing with it through yellowstone
glacier np and the mountains, out west but its to much machine for the trails/terrain here
Might have to look at skidoo as our next machine

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
It is only 100hp, and 154 inch long track so wasn’t built with top end in mind. That being said, around 80mph. I’ve had the high HP mountain sleds and trail rockets, but none of it appeals to me anymore except just bombing around on logging roads or trail riding with the girls.
Have no experience with sleds. I would think the best place to do 80+ mph would be on a frozen lake? Wide open and you know there isn't a stump, or fence etc. underneath. On trails that others might be using it would probably be pretty unsafe and illegal? Is it legal to do 80 or top end on a lake or are there speed restrictions everywhere?

mowbizz

Reaction score
Have no experience with sleds. I would think the best place to do 80+ mph would be on a frozen lake? Wide open and you know there isn't a stump, or fence etc. underneath. On trails that others might be using it would probably be pretty unsafe and illegal? Is it legal to do 80 or top end on a lake or are there speed restrictions everywhere?
Frozen lakes can be dangerous as many times you are dealing with “whiteout” conditions especially on overcast days when everything is white. At night is a different story but still dangerous (unless following established tracks/trails) I’ve know plenty to hat have gone for an unexpected “ride” through the air by hitting hidden obstacles on a lake ( under the snow) I’m pretty sure 40 mph is the speed limit everywhere but who obeys that?

JDK

Reaction score
Picture too big. I’ll try to post tomorrow

Xbolt

Reaction score
[QUOTE="mowbizz, post: 642429, member: I’ve know plenty to hat have gone for an unexpected “ride” through the air by hitting hidden obstacles on a lake ( under the snow)
Yup and ive got the scars, from 102, stiches in my head to prove it (no i wasnt wearing a helmet)
I hit a, log under the snow, @ 77mph, i was, ejected and slammed into a, tree, 102, stiches
Severe whip lash torn ligaments in my neck /shoulders broke both collar bones 4 weeks in the hospital ir wasn't fun doc said i was, lucky to be alive much less, walking
Edited to add i also busted 3 ribs, and my right arm in 2 places

Last edited:

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
No speed limits in Maine. NH does have them. 80 on a trail, isn’t all that fast. The trails up here are almost entirely just the unplowed logging roads that are groomed flat as a pancake. Up by JDK the railbeds are places are you could comfortably go 100mph if you want. I’m over that phase. I like my life, my kids, being able to walk. Lol.

I find I mostly ride around 65mph covering ground. Fast enough to get somewhere, slow enough to still see things.

Today we went up around the end of the golden rd. Green MT, dole pond, etc. Around a foot of snow. Saw 2 moose, that’s it. Surprised there are still deer out and about far from the yards. No lynx and not many tracks which seems strange. Usually would have seen a few by now. It’s a weird winter, and we need some more snow.

Last edited:

JDK

Reaction score
Not trying to hijack or butt in on kingman's thread. We went shed hunting yesterday around the Portage Lake area. About 16-18 inches of snow and it was great going. Put a whopping 38 miles on the sled and walked maybe a mile (I am terribly out of shape). Much like the area kingman was in, there was a good amount of deer sign just about everywhere. In places the moose sign was extraordinary. Unfortunately also a lot of coyote sign and a few lynx tracks here and there.

I found one shed.

shed.jpg

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Not trying to hijack or butt in on kingman's thread. We went shed hunting yesterday around the Portage Lake area. About 16-18 inches of snow and it was great going. Put a whopping 38 miles on the sled and walked maybe a mile (I am terribly out of shape). Much like the area kingman was in, there was a good amount of deer sign just about everywhere. In places the moose sign was extraordinary. Unfortunately also a lot of coyote sign and a few lynx tracks here and there.

I found one shed.

View attachment 25812

Not hijacking at all. Love the discussion.
That’s a nice shed. Thoughts on when it dropped according to snow? How did you like the sled?

JDK

Reaction score
The shed was lying on top of the snow and we had about an inch the day before. It was fresh.

Sled is great but my complaint is it is way too big. Took it into spots I probably shouldn't have I'd like a small utility sled that fits in the back of my truck.

Big D

Reaction score
Nice sheds guys

Do you guys find that sled to be tippy at all with the narrower ski stance?

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
The shed was lying on top of the snow and we had about an inch the day before. It was fresh.

Sled is great but my complaint is it is way too big. Took it into spots I probably shouldn't have I'd like a small utility sled that fits in the back of my truck.

Agreed. A 600 ace tundra would be nice. Narrower, lighter by 140 pounds. I just spent a short stint cursing and ruining my new tailgate this morning to bring my sled home. It’s not real nimble.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Nice sheds guys

It’s a little more noticeable compared to a trail sled on trail at speed, but overall it’s not bad. They are adjustable 38-40 inches wide. I keep mine at 40. Keep in mind with the long track it creates some stability.
A trail sled is 42 inches, a tundra is 32 inches. That’s tippy!

Pine-lock

Reaction score
It’s a little more noticeable compared to a trail sled on trail at speed, but overall it’s not bad. They are adjustable 38-40 inches wide. I keep mine at 40. Keep in mind with the long track it creates some stability.
A trail sled is 42 inches, a tundra is 32 inches. That’s tippy!

I have a 550 Tundra LT and it's tippy for sure. Especially on hard packed snow or groomed trails. I just put on a widening kit to get it out to 36" yesterday. Only a short spin around the woods around camp but it seems to have made a world of difference.

WetWool

Reaction score
I have a neat ice fishing sled made by Polaris for only three years I believe that just didnt catch on called a Transport. 42" stance, push button reverse, and 137" track. Removable second seat tht leaves an area big enough for pack basket, bait, small cooler. Light enough to put in truck, although not tundra or bravo light.

Last edited:

JDK

Reaction score
Nice sheds guys

I've only used mine a few times so I'd certainly defer to Jeremy. That said, I was surprised at how tippy it is. Certainly not Tundra tippy but more than I would have expected.

JDK

Reaction score
I have a neat ice fishing sled made by Polaris for only three years I believe that just didnt catch on called a Transport. 42" stance, push button reverse, and 137" track. Removable second seat tht leaves an area big enough for pack basket, bait, small cooler. Light enough to put in truck, although not tundra or bravo light.

I like your sled Eric. We need to use it this year!

Latest posts