cool sniper story

Steve/NH

Reaction score
Pretty intense. Gotta be a certain type for sure.

Imagine if they deer hunt....they are trained to sit dawn to dusk and 600yd shots are a chip shot to these guys.

N

NH Hunter

Good read, I am always impressed by what these guys are able to do. Certainly not a line of work I would be interested in though.

Haystaddle

Reaction score
British and US sniping is high level stuff. Those guys are awesome. The weaponry they have at their disposal are unbelievable. Makes a guy like Carlos Hathcock even more amazing though. I'm sure there are a bunch of stories like this, just a lot of which are classified. God Bless those guys!

jpattersonnh

Reaction score
1430 meters= .89 miles. That is no 7.62x51(.308). The .300WM will reach out to 1500 yards so 1564 yards (1430 meters) is doable on a perfect day w/ a 190gr at 2900fps. The .338 Lapua, now that is the ticket. Not a 7.62 but it is used in the L96 platform. Once a bullet goes subsonic it looses accuracy real fast. A supressor reduces muzzle velosity by as much as 30%. Carlos Hathcock was using a hunting rifle w/ a modified Redfield scope, that is what makes him truely amazing. .30-06 was the 1000 yard standard for years. The man had balls of steel and could read everything natural around him perfectly.

Escout711

Reaction score
British and US sniping is high level stuff. Those guys are awesome. The weaponry they have at their disposal are unbelievable. Makes a guy like Carlos Hathcock even more amazing though. I'm sure there are a bunch of stories like this, just a lot of which are classified. God Bless those guys!
The Canadians are not far behind, I believe a Canadian sniper has the record for longest kill...

1430 meters= .89 miles. That is no 7.62x51(.308). The .300WM will reach out to 1500 yards so 1564 yards (1430 meters) is doable on a perfect day w/ a 190gr at 2900fps. The .338 Lapua, now that is the ticket. Not a 7.62 but it is used in the L96 platform. Once a bullet goes subsonic it looses accuracy real fast. A supressor reduces muzzle velosity by as much as 30%. Carlos Hathcock was using a hunting rifle w/ a modified Redfield scope, that is what makes him truely amazing. .30-06 was the 1000 yard standard for years. The man had balls of steel and could read everything natural around him perfectly.
Hathcock was a Winchester Model 70 man...His longest kill was with a "Ma Deuce" .50 cal...

jpattersonnh

Reaction score
The Canadians are not far behind, I believe a Canadian sniper has the record for longest kill...

Hathcock was a Winchester Model 70 man...His longest kill was with a "Ma Deuce" .50 cal...
You are correct, but it was a modified Ma Deuce machine gun, not a rifle. The pre 1964 M70 was a civilian hunting rifle w/ a bull bore and standard stock, slightly modified. I has truely impressed w/ the sniper in Fallujah that took an insurgent at 1200 yards w/ a .308(7.62x51) M40. That is a custom rig. He even was shocked he hit. The Canadian that hit at 1.5 miles, that has been past by the .408 and .416.

Flatlander

Reaction score
I saw a program on snipers on the military channel. One of the guys was picking off insurgents from 800 yards as they dashed across a road. He had something like 4 seconds to aim and fire and he was drilling them.

totalyirish5

Reaction score
Read a lot of books on snipers from Iraq Afghanistan and Vietnam. Extremely impressive what those guys do no matter what they have in their hands